how to get a five month old to sleep through the night??

Any suggestions on getting a five month old to sleep through the night??? Desperate for any advice... THANKS!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dd passes out after her bath and bottle! I mean she just SLEEEEEEPS LOL. I bathe her every other night and she is starving afterwards, I feed her then light out! LOL I think the Johnson and Johnson Lavender stuff works!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Anything you do, unfortunately, will do nothing for her sleep...but maybe something for your nerves. Sleeping all night is a developmental milestone. They do it when THEY are ready. Parental interference can make it worse rather than better!

Here's what I tried: Cereal (never in a bottle), formula, lavendar baths. lavendar spray, co-sleeping.

That last got ME the most sleep...but he never slept through. And I should have realized. I don't sleep through either!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My daughter is closing up on 18 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night. I know that's exactly the opposite of what you want to hear right now, but it's the truth... babies are not meant to sleep through the night. 5 months is really early to expect it to happen, too. I know you're exhausted and sleep deprived and tired of getting up to feed a crying baby. Is co-sleeping an option for you? Bringing baby into the bed often helps them sleep longer, and you don't have to get up to feed them :) It's a win-win. Plus, some studies have shown a significant decrease in the risk of SIDS for co-sleeping (and some have shown the opposite, do your research).

Good luck, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• A miracle? DD probably made it through the night less then 10 times before 17 months and then at 17 months she started sleeping though the night! 12 hours straight! She's almost 19 months now and she makes it through at least 6 days a week, 7 for 7 a lot of weeks now!

It will get better though, DD woke up ever 2 or 3 hours until at least 6 or 7 months and then started making it every 3 or 4 hours, by 12 months it was usually once a night some times twice.

One of my friends DS started sleeping though the night at 12 or 13 months.

It might seem like a lot of babies start sleeping though the night earlier but I think we just hear about it a lot because their parents are all bragging about it lol.

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• ok well to start i know what u mean to a point but my sons opposite he sleeps all nite till about 5 am hes 4 months but he does not sleep at all dureing the day but i see that someone answered your question with allow them too sleep with you dont DO it i did that with my 5 year old and he will be 6 in one month and he still sleeps with its the hardest thing in the world to break they depend on you and thats not good mommy and daddy need there time and there space and belive me with a kid in the bed you wont get that ...just dont let her sleep with you you will regret it one day and need super nanny to help you....lol
    stayhomemom03

Answer by stayhomemom03 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The hand of god. lol 5 month olds rarely sleep through the night, and anyone that tells you they are -supposed- to so they CIO'd and it didn't just happen naturally for them probably is not telling you that it took them like 3 weeks to get CIO to work. In other words, they tortured their baby til the baby finally gave up.

The best thing to do is sleep when baby sleeps during the day. You'll catch up on missed night-time sleep. If not possible for you, try taking a nap at some point when someone can watch your baby. Otherwise, if your baby is FF, have daddy take over one night of dealing with baby at night -- one night will refresh you for 5 days. If you BF, try co-sleeping. If you can't co-sleep, nap, or any of that.. I suggest weak coffee several times per day. lol
    Anonymous