Is it cruel to take my daughter's nuk (pacifier, binky, etc.) away cold turkey?

Ok my daughter just turned 2, and still wants her nuk at naps and bedtimes (only times it's allowed). Well at daycare she bit the nipple almost completely off, so I decided she was going to be done with them. Of course I called a few people to see if they had any advice on how to do it. All I was told is it's cruel to take it away cold turkey, it's her comfort, it will traumatize her, etc. Is this all true? I certainly don't want to traumatize her, but also don't want her choking in her sleep if she would bite another one...advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not cruel especially when chocking is involved, don't listen to what people say just do what you think is right, maybe take away her binky and talk to her and give her a teddy bear.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Some say cold turkey is the best way. My bother and sister in law used our new baby as the excuse to take pacis away from their twins. They said the new baby needed the pacis, so the girls gathered them all up and put them in an envelope to send the baby.

Cold turkey might be rough for a couple of days, but I don't think it's cruel.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• just take it away, she's not going to be traumatized, its a binky. I took my sons away, he cried for a while and he's fine. do it now or your child will be 4yo with this thing in her mouth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Thanks ladies! The ones I was talking to haven't had children in at least 20 years, so wanted to check with others.. I'm going to do it cold turkey, but explain it to her, have her take the nuks and throw them away, and let her pick a new stuffed animal at the store for being a big girl :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I took my dd away cold turkey and she only asked for it a couple of times then she was good the next day!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I promise you she won't be traumatized and have to get therapy when she's thirty because you took her binky away at the age of 2. You need to get rid of it because it is bad for the development of her teeth. I took my kids' binkys away the day before their first birthday. I cut a hole in the end of it and they couldn't get the suction going and didn't want them anymore. It was easy as pie.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:13 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• What having new pacifiers handy to replace it often. Pacifiers tend to break when they are overused.

I posted a question here about my son and his binky. I was worried that he wouldn't let go of it. Until one day he (himself) didn't want it no more. My son is 16 moths old and without pacifier since he was 11 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• *what about* sorry, pp
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• no, its not cruel, cruel is beating your child, this isnt on the same level at all
    BUT, depending on your child, it may make it harder on you for a while if you just rip it away cold turkey, some kids do better than way and others struggle and dont understand AT ALL why you wont let them have it.
    A friend of mine had the best idea EVER for doing away with the binkys for her daughter...the little girl loves dear, she took her girl to the local wooded park and told her to give the nuks to the little baby dears in the woods who need them because they dont have any, so she had them all in a little basket and threw them into the woods (yes, they picked them up and didnt litter the woods!) and when she got home she showed the girl a cute photoshoped pic she had made of a baby dear with one of her nuks in its mouth....it was SO cute and it make her daughter feel like she was a big girl and really helped the baby dear!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• nope. I took away all thre e of my kids pacifers at 6 months. Cold turkey they went in the trash.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2009