all of a sudden my 3 1/2 yr old boy wants to be a baby...

My son is 3 and wants to be a baby. Ive rewarded, big boy behavior, Ive made sticker charts and feel like Ive tried everything...he refuses to get dressed, he says he doesnt know how, (hes been doing it for 2 years!) He'll argue for ever if i let him.
If I ask him to do somthing, he says hes just a baby and dosnet know how, at bedtime, he comes out wrapped in his blanet and says carry me like newborn.
wants me to sing him baby songs and even pretends to cry "wwhhaaa-wwhhaaaa"
What is going on??? give him plenty of attention and when i ask him, why he doesnt want to be a big boy, he says nothing, except im a baby...what in the world? Its been like 3 weeks, he REFUSES to get his clothes on by himself! Help!
P.S. hes an only child...if that helps

just1forme

Asked by just1forme at 2:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is a phase. He realized he really isn't a baby anymore. Life is pretty scary when you realize you have to a "big boy". I know I have days when I want to regress and just be a little kid again. It sounds like you are already doing the right thing. Shower him with love and praise him when he does act grown up.
    Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. Let him work through this. It will be over before you know it. Maybe take the time to enjoy it too, this may be the last time he is ever your "little baby" : )
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• eeww sorry for all the spelling errors..lol
    just1forme

Answer by just1forme at 2:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I agree its a phase many kids go through it and it will play it's self out. You can choose to play along a little bit and he will love the extra attention. One of my sons did this he was and still is a mommas boy i played along and it passed quickly.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My DD done the same thing at the same age. She started talking like a baby & acting like one. I would tell her that I don't understand baby talk & to talk like a big girl & she eventually quit. Just another phase......
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 11:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2009