Could he still have Autism?

My child has been in a daycare enviroment since he was newborn and is know 2 and 1/2. He socializes with about 5 kids 1 on 1 or even 2 and does try to play with them and does try to play nicely but other then that he is very agressive to kids and especially when it get crazy.He will tackle them and lay on them, or sqeeze them really tight, pinch them really hard, slap them, and even bite. He know is even starting to get aggresive with me when I am trying to put him in his carseat he will hit me or pinch me really hard. I do know that he does not like to be restrained, is saying about 15 words, does not talk but will parrot some words, like to kick and throw balls, is not scared of danger even if told (has burned himself on the top of the stove already and still tries to grab stuff when you tell him no and hot) and likes to turn off and on lights, tvs, and fans.

magnane

Asked by magnane at 2:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you had him tested? To me honestly it sounds very like my friends 2 1/2 y/o boy and he does not have autism. My son has aspergers and never did any of what you listed but autism isnt black and white there are so many different ways it plays out.

Is this something that has just started or has he always been this way? the answer to that question would be your first clue most (not all) autistic children show signs at or around age two, for us it was like a light switch one day my bright happy toddler just turned off and became a different child.

I guess I would also wonder why your leaning towards autism and not adhd or possibly just narrowing down a change at the daycare that has caused a change in his behavior. I would definately start talking to his pediatrician about possible causes to narrow down why this is happening.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• He needs discipline, like "spare the Rod, Spoil the child" discipline. There is absolutely ZERO reason he should be acting that way.. But its not surprise because he is in daycare
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 7:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• a lot of kids in daycare show agression tendencies. You may want to have him tested and possibly get a behavioral therapist into the daycare to help him learn how to deal with these situations. A lot of kids act out and hurt their friends simply because they don't know how else to express themselves. Having someone to work with him 1 on 1 may help. I don't think he's autistic, it sounds like he's a pretty normal 2 year old who might just need some help figuring out how to deal with tough situations.
    Good luck
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• If you are concern, have him tested. Otherwise both you and the daycare need to work with him on his behavior. This doesn't mean you "punish" him but teach him skills to better manage his emotions (really you CAN do this). I
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:07 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• He definitely needs discipline for being aggressive, and tested for speech delay. He should be communicating and saying much more than only parroting 15 words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• What do you mean by "still"? Was he tested before and found not to have it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• But its not surprise because he is in daycare

What do you mean by that last line?
    cutebaby06

Answer by cutebaby06 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• At 2 1/2, a child who isn't talking is going to get frustrated when he can't make himself understood. I'd have him tested for speech delay and focus on that more than autism. Your doctor should be able to point you in the right direction or you go directly to your state's Early Intervention (or equivalent program). Your state's web sites should have the contact info. If he's playing with other kids, autism isn't likely. (At 2 1/2, many kids aren't yet playing with other kids. It's still more parallel play.) I'd also look into what may have changed at daycare to see if there's a trigger. My 2 1/2 yr old also does some of what you say. I've found that reminding him he needs to be gentle works better than telling him not to hit, etc. I still use timeouts but change the wording.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2009