my son is a complete monster in the store!!

i took my son shopping today (he's 2 3/4), in a store that doesn't have shopping carts for kids to sit in. he was fine at first.. then went completely nuts! running all over the place, and every time he saw me he ran away. i was extremely embarrassed that i couldn't seem to control him. i almost never want to take him shopping with me again. i need advice!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My advice would be proper discipline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Kids do act like that at times. They cant always be good. I know when my kids would do something like that I would tell them one time that they arent listening and the next time I have to say something to them I was walking out of the store and we would go home and they would be punished (go to their room, sit for a little, or naptime). I would even smack their butt. I believe in a spanking...not a beating. when it came down to me walking out of the store I wouldnt say one word to them until we would get home. I know my kids hated the fact that mommy was so mad she wasnt talking to them. it helped and my kids dont act up. My daughter is 9 and my son will be 6 in Dec. There are times my son will still get whiny but I just tell him the same thing or I ignore him and he stops. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Oh gosh mommaI have had this problem for ever, and proper dicipline isn't always work, I discipline my son, talk to him but as soon as we enter the store he runs away, I just continue talking to him about it, and when we shop I try and talk to him about stuff or have him help me with stuff just keep him busy by talking to him.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• pop his ass!lol jk but seriously try a little spank and see how he reacts hes only two so dont get all dramatic just let him know you are very serious about how you want him to behave =]]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 2:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Take him to the bathroom and bring a wooden spoon with you or a rod.. like a kite Stick, and bend his BARE bottom over you and give him a good two or three spanks and he may cry and it my hurt his feelings but o well give yourself some peace. and if he is good for five minutes and then starts up again warn him about "The Spoon" and if he continues on take him again.I know this sounds harsh but it will work trust me! Consistency though is KEY!
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 7:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Would a harness be a good idea? At least he would stay near you, which is safer than running away from you. This is a greater problem than just not staying near you in a store, he has shown that he doesn't understand about staying near you when you are outside, and that he does not obey- which could be a real problem if he runs into a street, for example, or disappears in a crowd. I'd say immediate correction instead of waiting to get home, all respect to Looovesmybabies whose answer I like a lot. But immediate correction enforces exactly the action that is not acceptable. At the very least stopping the shopping trip at once along with corrective steps. Maybe a time out in the car for 2 minutes before you even start the car to go home- a time out where you wait silently, too.

Answer by Bmat at 8:04 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my little one wont even sit in the cart so i let her walk and she does the same thing,i end up pushing the cart and carrying her on and off. try giving him stuff to carry and tell him to put it in the basket.or suckers work too.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have stopped bringing my son on errands until he's old enough to understand consequences.. he will be 2 on Sat... he does the same thing.. its ridiculous.. I end up strapping him in the cart seat and letting him scream and ignoring him til we check out - we try the being a big helper, not going when he's hungry or tired -some days he just doesn't care....
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Toddler backpack carrier. They are expensive but worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Looking at it from a toddler's standpoint: the store was full of so much fun stuff to look at. He's used to being in the cart, so when he had the opportunity to walk instead, he got really excited. It sounds like was just being a typical toddler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009