How to stop or mellow screaming?

I have a 2year old daughter that at any given second will scream bloody murder. I kid you not her scream pierces through my ears, i love my baby, but sometimes it really gets to me especially when she does it for hours, i mean hours 2-3 maybe even 4. Anyone know how i can get it to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All I can think of is to put her in a room by herself so that she understands that the screaming isn't bothering anyone (because she is in another room) and is a waste of time, and that when she is not screaming she'll be allowed to be among people again.

Answer by Bmat at 7:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Ooooh, my daughter started trying to do this. It ground on my nerves...with her a tap on the mouth worked, and telling her "we don't do that". Now when she starts to, all she needs is a look and she quits. Another one I've heard of is put vinager in her mouth. A teaspoon or so. It's not going to her her, but it will get her to quit. Give her a warning, and then do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The vinegar idea seems awfully mean to me! You might try redirecting (can you show me your "little voice" or "inside voice") or getting involved with a toy. Otherwise, I'd issue a warning and as BRnat suggested, put her in another room and ignore until the screaming stops.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Put her in a room alone. Make it clear, "if you are going to scream, you are going to do it in here, alone". She does it for attention. When she sees it just gets her isolated she will learn to stop.
    Anonymous