Help with DD(16 months)

My DD is 16 months. She is still in a crib, since she can't walk yet (she may need EI for that).. Anyway, she rocks herself to sleep, and I always put her in the middle of the crib, but she always ends up against the rails and banging herself against them. She has bruises on her spine from where it hits the bed. How do I get her to stop that? She seriously has about 6 or 7 bruises on different vertebra.

Also, this is something that worries me (and grosses me out). Whenever she poops, she finds a way out of her clothes, and get the diaper off. She then proceeds to play with the poop and *puke* eat it. I don't know how to get her to stop! We always make sure she is in zip up pjs, or in a onsie and pants, yet she always gets out of her clothes (and she only does it when she poops, otherwise she leaves them alone). I get not wanting to be in the poop, but eating it and playing with it?

Any ideas, ladies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• use duct tape for the diapers and maybe put padding on the railings of the crib, maybe ask her doctor if that's safe for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It has been my experience that most children poop on a schedule. For instance, my 3 year old will predictably have a bowel movement between noon and 1pm and my 6 year old at around 11pm. Try to see when she is having a movement and keep a closer eye on her then. If it's in the middle of the night you might have to set your alarm and wake to check on her. As for the rocking, try to find another way for her to go to sleep. My favorite is to bore them to sleep with a long story. My six month old falls to sleep while I'm reading him the news from Google.
    Good luck.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 4:04 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• when my son was doing the diaper thing we used medical tape (gause(sp) tape) on the diaper, always had him in the shirts that do up over the diaper and pants on top of that. It is a hassle but anything is better than cleaning up poop every morning.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 4:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• we used duct tape on my nephew's diapers when he used to do this. It's a pain to get off, but it keeps the diaper on!!
    As far as the banging, you might want to consider a crib bumper. THey say they aren't safe for children under 1, but at her age she is old enough for it to not be such a hazard. It will keep her from hurting herself. Talk to your doc about it, and good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Have you had her tested for autism?
    Anonymous

• I would try the bumper in the crib.But instead of putting it in the normal way.Weave the bumper in and out of the crib rails,I did this for my LO it seemed to help.
    elismommy608

Answer by elismommy608 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I've heard of people using duct tape on their child's diaper. My mom said she did that for my oldest sister, because she just wouldn't keep her diaper on. At all. Just duct taping the fastners down won't hurt your child in any way and it will keep her diaper on until you can change it. Children are curious creatures and will try just about anything. Don't underestimate what they'll put into their mouth, even their own poop. You can put a bumper on your child's bed, if you don't already have one, and that will pad your child from the bars of her crib. Lessening the chance of her bruising from contact.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2009