Baking Question - why sour cream?

I'm trying to find a good chocolate chip muffin recipe, and I've narrowed it down to two that are really similar. The main difference is that one calls for sour cream. Can anyone tell me what that's about? I am new to baking and am curious as to how much sour cream really helps. The other recipe calls for apple sauce instead of sour cream.

MamaSueCongdon

Asked by MamaSueCongdon at 3:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• sour cream is both some of the added fat in the recipe, the dairy protiens make for a softer crumb, and the "sour" reacts with the baking soda to help make it rise.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• both with give the muffin a nice moist texture...the applesauce one is healthier if your looking to go that route
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have a cake recipe and a cookie recipe that use sour cream.....the cake still uses oil and eggs (obviously this recipe is for special occasions only), and actually the cookie recipe still has butter and eggs....both are so soft, moist and delicious that they actually stay moist for days. The cookie does rise up more than others, and I call it a "muffin cookie". You might try both recipes to see which you like better!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• pp taught me something new...the idea of sour cream in a muffin sure sounds yummier than applesauce! :-P
    marathon-mom

Answer by marathon-mom at 12:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• That was interesting, ya learn something new every day!
    marny

Answer by marny at 8:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009