How do you have the period talk?

I have a daughter, who is 9 y/o, and I didn't plan on having the talk until this coming summer, but it has all changed. My daughter was sick with the flu and I had given her some cold meds and drew a bubble bath for her. Well, long story short, I was helping her out of the tub (just in case she was dizzy) and noticed that she had pubic hair and underarm hair. We went bra shopping today and I had mentioned the body changes that she is going through, but I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how to talk to her about pubic hair and her period. Growing up, I never got the talk, so I don't know where to start. Tonight, I went to Barnes and Noble to buy 'the books' but it seemed like too much info for the beginning stages. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

intransition

Asked by intransition at 4:05 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't remember having the talk either. My mom was just very open with me growing up so I got information as I went along. If I seen her pads and asked what they were she told me. She always says that you should be honest with your children but give them age appropriateanswers and (when they are little) never more info than what they ask for. My suggestion is to just push your embarrassment aside and be honest with her.  These are things she needs to know and its better that she get the honest facts from you and not something from a peer at school that could be wrong.  Good Luck!

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 4:09 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• best thing to do is keep it simple....if she already knows where babies come from then start the convo like that....thats how i did it...i made it sound clinical so she didnt get embarrased hearing it from her mom and just got the facts across...
    the way i did it was explain that every woman has two ovaries and a uterus....and they are organs just like the kidneys and pancreas, just that only females have them. and just go from there....and answer any questions she will ahve...i also let me daughter know how to use pads or tampons and bought some for her to keep under the bathroom sink just in case she ever started in the middle of the night or when i wasnt home so she would be prepared.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I would give her just enough information to keep her from being scared should she start her periods. Explain to her only the very basics about what is happening to her body and prepare her for what she can expect. She will probably ask questions. If she does, answer them honestly but only with enough information to satisfy her curiosity. Keep the lines of communication open with her about all her concerns and let her know that when she has a question, she should ask you and not her girlfriends or anyone else. If you aren't all uptight about it, she won't be either.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• There is a really cool book made by American Girl that gives a complete overview about puberty and growing up that I gave my daughter when she was 9. It's called The Body Book for Girls. I actually got it from walmart for about 10 bucks even though they carry it at the American Girl store too. It explains everything in the perfect language for a 9-12 year old. I read it with her and let her ask me any questions. She's 10 now and execpt for being really nervous, she is prepared for her period if/when it comes.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I know I don't have girls but I don't get why this is so hard and I think this dialogue shoudl have happened way before age 9. I had all the knowledge I needed about periods probably by the time I was 4 just living with my mom and sister. Has she NEVER been in the bathroom with you when you were on your period? Has she NEVER asked questions? I think you should get her a little cute cosmetic bag with different types of pads in it and tell her this is for when she starts her period and go from there. Whatever you do don't tell her she's a woman when her period starts. It will probably be in the next year and you don't want to traumatize her into thinking she is no longer a kid when her period starts. Be brave mom and take care of this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• A really, really good book is The Care and Keeping of You. If they have it, my daughter loved the journal that goes with it. It's inexpensive, but nicely made and cover's everything!
    BODY CHANGES
    PMS
    PADS AND TAMPONS
    SKIN CARE
    MOOD SWINGS
    EXERCISE
    EATING HEALTHY
    RESPECTING YOURSELF
    AND MORE

I got the book for my daughter when her body started to change, and by the time she got her period she was comfortable with it, which shocked me because I sorta freaked out when I first got mine.
    Anonymous

• I'm pretty sure The care and keeping of you is also by American Girls
    Anonymous

• American Girl makes a book called the Care and Keeping Of You. It's a great book that covers everything except for sex on a tween level. Try reading the book with her then ask her if she has any questions about anything. I highly reccomend the book. DD read the book. I thought it was very informative. Good luck
    momof21993

Answer by momof21993 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• We bought the American Girl book too. Not sure how much help it was for us. We did periods ok....hers were really bad in the beginning because of some hormonal imbalances so she got it 120% first thing but now.......dont forget when you go to do the tampon discussion to let them know you can pull hairs getting it out! LMAO I thought i had covered everything but i forgot that one lil detail!
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2009