Help! Skunk sprayed my dog!

This morning my husband took the dogs out to pee, and they startled a skunk in the yard. It sprayed my dog on the side (luckily not his face). Does anyone have any tips for removing the smell? He is a large Lab-mix dog with no allergies that I know of, if that matters. I can't take him to a groomer because he does not behave on a leash yet. Thanks for any advice!!

mamapotter

Asked by mamapotter at 7:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pets

• tomatoe juice is supposed to help neutralize the smell.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I worked at a Vet's office for a few years and this is what we used to remove skunk smell but remember it is a Oil so it soaks into the skin so you may still smell a bit of residual scent if your dog gets wet or if it's a damp day 1-Bottle Of Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/2 Cup Of Baking Soda,1 TSP of Dawn Dish soap,Rubber Gloves and lots of Towels Let the Mixture sit on your pet for about 10-15 minutes you may have to do bathe your pet twice with this mixture depending how bad your dog got sprayed and also may sure to be extra careful in your pets face with this mixture.Good Luck!
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Thanks for the advice! I'm going grocery shopping this morning anyway so I will get the juice and make that solution (we'll triple douse the poor guy if we have to!).
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• We had this crazy dog that got sprayed THREE times one winter. We tried tom. juice and viniger... everything we could think of. Ended up shaving her. Poor thing would run and hide everytiem she saw my dad because he was giving her a bath so much to make her smell better lol. Good luck!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Enzyme cleaners work!!

nature's miracle is an option. You can buy it at the pet supply store. It's not cheap, but not too expensive.

Soak the dog down to the skin. Labs have that double coat. I am so sorry. Wear gloves. Pour the nature's miracle onto the dog -- it's a clear fluid-- and massage it down.

You want to soak her/him for 10 minutes at least. I sing songs to my dogs when they get the "de-stink soak" but I think it is just to make me feel better. I massage the whole 10 minutes.

Rinse the coat and put on a second dose of the enzyme cleaner. Also, add a good vegetable oil soap. Be generous. 4 tablespoons of liquid soap. Dr. Bronners makes an amazing citrus that will change your life. Soap the dog VERY well and rinse.

My stink patrol sends butt sniffs! nothing is more "fun" than skunk.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yeah if all else fails your vet should have a special shampoo for removing the smell. Glad it's your dog and not mine. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:07 AM on Nov. 6, 2009