Question for people who were in Elementary School in the 50's or 60's.

Not sure if this question belongs here, but I didn't know where else to put it. I was talking with my Aunt about schools nowadays and she said she never remembers a teacher yelling at the class when she was in school. That kind of surprises me, because I thought in the 5o's discipline tended to be a bit stricter than now. I'm just interested in hearing about the experiences of others who attended school at the same time. Do you remember teachers yelling at the class, if not how did they handle discipline problems?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 7:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't remember being shocked by yelling. So there may have been some voice raising, but I don't remember it. I remember the teacher punishing the whole class by making everyone do the punishment- one was writing a sentence 500 times, or other written punishments- which was supposed to make the kids in the class control the troublemaker since they wouldn't be very happy with the one who got the punishment given to everyone. Of course kids mainly behaved in class. Not behaving meant a phone call to the parents and discipline from them. Or being sent to the principal.

Answer by Bmat at 7:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• They didn't have to yell because during those days, the teachers and principals could administer corporal punishment. There were not the things going on in the classroom that go on today, because there was the knowledge that there would be severe consequences. In my own family, if we got in trouble at school, we were in more trouble when we got home.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Our schools were no different than above statements. We would need to take the punishment regardless who got caught or should have gotten but missed by. Our class would write out probably 50 to 100 but never 500, (whoa, that's incredible) A teacher who was my favorite teacher in class for learning was the same one who would actually hit our knuckles with a ruler, and hit the desk so hard the stick would break....... and hit us ! We all thought that was cool. Nobody was hit too often but we didn't want to be, so things worked most of the time. Yelling, lets see, yes, lots of yelling but only when children were talking loud, so the teacher had to yell. Today I believe if lots of talking is going on it's because the kids want to associate and mingle but some loud children are just exited, if the teachers would just tap them on the shoulder it wouldn't hurt, and improve self esteem for the whole class.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Vulcan nerve shoulder pinch *shudder*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• it was because we were taught to be more respectful of the teachers and we feared them.  they did not need to yell, they could grab us by the arm and drag us away.  now the teachers can't punish the bad behavior and kids do not have the respect for the adults that we used to have.

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I went to elementary school in the 60's (graduated high school in 74) and I dont remember the teachers ever yelling or hitting the students. Classes were small, about 12-15 kids in each room and the teachers were in control without losing it and getting all worked up. Of course back then if a kid acted out, he or she was taken to the principal's office and the parents were called, and the school had the parent's support. Chaos was carefully controlled.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• We were afraid of the nuns and priests.
    Plus if you were in trouble in school, you could count on being in even greater trouble once you went home.
    In middle school (late 60's, eraly 70s), I had some male teachers who were loud and threw chalk.
    Catholic school was very fear and control based, but you did learn!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Teachers yelled once in a while, but usually they just sent you to the principal's office. You could be paddled by the principal, and when that happened, you also got paddled at home because there was more support for schools and teachers back then.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My dad went to school during that time but it was a Catholic school. He feared his teachers, lol. They could and would physically punish the kids if they got out of line (rulers across the knuckles...he still shivers thinking about it).
    But he feared his parents more. If he got in trouble in school he knew he had to go home and tell his parents where he would get into even more trouble. There was none of this, "oh, my poor baby, that mean teacher hurt you, let's get her fired." No, he'd get his but beat and be grounded for the week.
    He doesn't remember teachers yelling. They didn't have to when the kids knew they were going to get spanked or their hands rapped.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2009