Does oyur pet drive you insane?

My house used to be nice, until we got a dog who has chewed up wallpaper in my kitchen, bitten through walls (taking out chunk s of it actually), bitten my eyeglasses and chewed off the pieces around the ear, etc. Yes, I have stopped putting my eyeglasses and anything welse that I value on the kitchen counters because he counter surfs when we aren't looking. He has some bad habits and I cannot seem to train him to stop. I try to get him out as much as possible as he is a little hyper. He is a Golden retriever , about 1 and a half yrs of age, that reminds me of the dog in the movie Marley. I cannot afford professinal dog trainers! Help.

Amy1022

Asked by Amy1022 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pets

• Man, i thought i had it bad with the stink patrol and their constant need to stand next to me while passing gas. But my dogs behave. Here's why:

CRATE TRAIN THEM until they are chilled out responsible adults

ESTABLISH PACK ORDER because I'm the mom and i say so, don't you give me any lip!

A TIRED DOG IS A GOOD DOG mine have a busy day every day in the yard and on walks

SCHEDULING ROCKS dogs love schedules, they really can make decisions or plan things so routine helps them make sense of the world

The only thing my dogs do that really drives me nuts is eat rabbit poop in the yard then burp in my face when i go to pet them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Wow... that sounds like quite the extreme case. I would be asking for help funding a pro dog trainer for Christmas. In the mean time, go to the library and start reading everything you can on dog training.

This could be helped by something as simple as establishing youself as "alpha." Treat the dog, when you're around of course, like a toddler- say what you are saying to him with meaning and enforce the follow through.

When you are not home, *crate* him. The dog cannot have run of the home when he can't be trusted.

If you are not all ready- try taking the dog out for a walk in the mornings (if possible). Getting some energy out first thing may help.

Do some real research on dominance though. And watch the dog whisperer on Animal Planet if you have cable. (and if not, find some episodes on the internet.)
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• yes ever since we had our dh our 3 dogs have been driving me nuts, the oldest poops everywhere all of a sudden and the middle one leaves SO much hair everywhere i have to sweep the floors like 4 times a day (not kidding) and then the other one tracks in so much dirt through the doggy door she adds to the sweeping...I would totally get rid of them I think...but only to a good home where i knew the people would take great care of them. but your dog just needs training..have you tried that? our older dogs was ver trained and he is just getting older and needs it reinforced so we at least know how to fix it, but what your dog is doing can definitely be fixed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It seems like you need to do some major Crate Training and just Training in general. And get the dog some chew toys alot of it just seems like he is bored(ie walks,dog park,etc etc) and looking for attention . Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Treat your dog as you would a child, baby proof your house so it's not as enticing. Also the walks are a great idea but you have to be consistent. Our dogs thrive on routine. We get up take them out (all 3), then they're fed. Then at noon another walk, and then again at 3:30. Everyday... We keep plenty of real bones for them to chew on the floor, but nothing else. We also don't believe in crates. I wouldn't put my child in one so I'm surely not going to put our dogs in one. We keep all bedroom doors closed so they can be seen all day no matter where they are. They eat when we eat, no table scraps, and go to bed in our room with the door shut at night. They don't sleep in our bed but they aren't allowed to roam around the house at night. The key is attention, playing outside with a good strong chew toy or balls. A retriever needs lots of exercise. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• YES!!!! I can't stand my dog. She is a female miniature dachshund and is a PAIN!!!! She marks all over the house and yard - we can't have other dogs over or she starts wetting in the house. She will get mad at me and wet on the carpet. I will walk her and chain her up outside for HOURS and she will hold it until she gets in the house. She barks at everything and is constantly waking the kids up. She weighs 10 pounds and has broken a chain collar, and chain leash, and 4 or 5 leashes for 40-60 pound dogs!! She pulls her corkscrew chain out of the ground! GRRRR!

Recently I have found that a squirt bottle does wonders!!!! She is slowly cutting back on her barking. And now when she escapes from the house, I just have to walk outside with the water bottle in my hand and she slinks back to me!! YAY! You can put some vinegar in the water, but I just use water.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Our dog did that for a long time after we got her, but eventually she grew out of it. She still chews our socks, and my daughter's toys sometimes. I would say up her/his walks into runs to wear them out. Get him a KONG chew toy and stuff it with treats. Try training everyday, like sit/stay/down/come-to peak their interest and occupy their time. I would definately agree crating him/her at night since he is a chewer, and while you are gone. We don't crate ours, but we do put her in the backyard while we are gone, and we put her in her "corner" at night(we made a bed in the corner and put up a baby gate now that we can trust her not to destroy the house.

The trainer my husband went to taught him to work our dog for her treats, food, walks. She must sit, stay, down, and heel before we give her anything. It seems to have taught her to "respect" us and our things.

ycatstouch

Answer by ycatstouch at 9:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my 8 month old shepherd/husky mix charges the front door when anyone comes to our house. he is afraid of plastic bags, closet doors, and TERRIFIED of being put in the bath tub and given a bath. I wouldn't trade him for anything!
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I can't stand my 130lb black lab but I love his stupid butt. He is epileptic and needs meds twice a day well the meds he takes make him very hungry and thirsty so he whines all day (seriously) he is already over weight so we try not to give in but he is SOOOOOOOO annoying. He is way to hyper and has no sence of his size he knocks everything around even people. We can never take a vaction without him and have to be home at his med times. He is way to high maitence. I will NEVER have another dog. I really do love him but he has ruined the way I feel about dogs in general.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 9:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• YES! i have a yorkie that i love/hate, can;t help you with training he trained me!

Answer by older at 10:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2009