Anyone know why my cat is acting weird?

My 2 cats are 7 yrs old. They've been with each other since the younger one, Shenzi, was born (the older one is Stitch). They have always been good buddies, sleeping together, cleaning each other, playing, etc. Well, last night Shenzi, who's an indoor cat with relatively short visits here and there to the front porch, got out on my porch when we came home. I totally forgot to let him back in. When my husband was going outside this morning to get his car started, Shenzi darted into the house. Well, at first he was chasing Stitch around the house and hissing and growling at him. Then we finally got him settled down, which is when I noticed his eyes are completely dilated. He's acting normal towards us, but everytime Stitch gets anywhere close he starts growling and hissing at him (mind you, he has never been an aggressive cat, and never hisses or growls). Both are up to date on shots. Stitch is emotionally hurt.

xraydri

Asked by xraydri at 8:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pets

• Cats do not know each other by sight,only smell.Shenzi does not recognize his buddy anymore because he smells like the house,and he has forgotten that scent from his short time outside.He'll chill out in a few days.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• maybe he got in a fight outside with another cat. just give it a few days. or he could be mad at you for not letting him in. mine do that.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Do any of your neighbors grow nip? I lived on a farm for a while and we had these insane kittens who finally made it to the herb garden. Way bad. One kitten ate through some dumb cane and walked around the house crying yet completely mute. The nip... oh dear. It was like an opium den.

If she isn't barfing, she'll be fine. Nip wears off. And the PP about smell is apt too. If they are still fighting after a few days, take her to the vet to make sure she didn't ingest anything harmful.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2009