My daughters birthday is in mid june. She will be turning 5 june 2010. I am in such a dilemma as to whether to send her to kindergarten or wait another year. She is very bright but a little on socially immature side especially transitioning between activities. Any advice would be appreciated!

She is in preschool 2 days a week. Teacher says she is on track in every area except the transitioning area. She says she is slightly "off" and perhaps evaluating her can give direction. Teacher really didn't explain herself well. I took daughter to pediatrician and she said my daughter still has some time to mature to make the decision before next September. Plus we are moving out of state in the spring. I am in such a dilemma as to what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She will adjust just fine. My g daugter turned five in July of this past year. We also had this dilemma. She wound up going to k garten this year. She had some problems at first, but as the teacher said, they all do. She is doing just fine right now and keeps up with the rest of the class.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I agree with your md. you still have plenty of time to make that decision. And you never know maybe by next school year she will do just fine.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• And think of it this way, 2 days a week is a lot different than 5 days. She will be in class a lot more and will be able to adjust quicker and make friends quicker than ever before. I think sometimes, we as parents and they as teachers worry and get upset more than the kids do. lol If it doesn't bother her(your DD) now and she seems fine with PS now, then K next year should be fine. Besides, K teachers are used to a variety of levels of children and they teach them HOW to transition between activities, that is what school is for, that is what the teacher is for.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 9:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I held mine back who has a june bday. She is doing great. I personally think the cutoff should be 5 by June 1st. I know many would disagree because of daycare money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• There is a huge difference between a preschool teacher working with a student 5 days a week and only two. Two days a week isn't enough to judge anything, really.

An evaluation isn't going to hurt and you'd know for sure if there is a problem. You'd need to see a developmental pediatrician, not your normal one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• A LOT can change for her in the next (roughly) 10 months. I think it's premature to worry about it right now, but I wouldn't plan on holding her back as of right now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i am a teacher (title one k-3) and i have to say the older they are --- generally speaking --- the more successful they are effortlessly... also if you are moving states, did you know that every state has different cut off times for K -- in ohio they can turn 5 in september and still attend K, the school doesnt get funding for them before they turn 5, so lots of local districts make their Own cutoff, my town's school system says kids have to be 5 by july 31 of the summer before.... look into the laws in the state and district that you will move to --- the choice might have already been made for you.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• can you add a day to her current schedule? Maybe by mid year add a day? It's too soon to tell I think. My son turned 5 Aug. 23 and we put him in K. We got the green light from the preschool teachers, however. You can help her by working on writing her name or letters or numbers. The other stuff will come and have a long chat with the teachers in May or so to get an idea. Sign up for K even if you don't go.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I'd send her and see how she does. School is the ideal setting to evaluate her if the problem continues and provide help if needed.
    Anonymous