10 month old plays too rough with 3 year old!

So I know it's virtually impossible to discipline a 10 month old, and I wouldn't even try it but how do I get her to stop pulling hair and hitting? She doesn't do it out of meanness, she pulls everyones hair/nose and her "hitting" is really her just getting overly excited, putting her arms up and crashing them down really fast, but usually they land on my older daughter and she takes it as being hit. I usually have to just tell my older one to sit on the couch instead of on the floor where the younger one can't get to her, but then I feel bad because I feel like she's been "banished" to the couch lol. Distracting/removing my 10 month old works for about 2 minutes. The other night she actually threw a fit when I kept telling her "NO" in a firm voice and pushing her hand away when she kept trying to pull my hair. What can I do!?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like you're doing what you can. unfortunately the no just takes a while to sink in while they learn self-control. If you still have an exersaucer or a jumper you can use those to separate the young'n while older sister plays. ds HATES being stuck in the exersaucer. but thats where he goes when he messes with the tv cords too much. i pretty much only use it now to corral him when he's getting into something that could get him hurt. he also hits my ss and throws things at him. so bc i've started with the removing him for getting into things, he gets it too if he doesnt quit hitting. maybe separating your younger daughter wont make the older one feel like she's in trouble for it.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• btw sorry if this is a stupid question, i'm an only child so i don't know how to deal with sibling rivalry all too well!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I'm going thru something similar with my 9 month old daughter. When she is around other kids, she gets overly excited and pulls hair and flaps her arms and ends up hitting others. I take her to the mall, where there is a play area for kids, and I have to really watch her when she plays with others because she's such a brut. I also have no idea what to do because she doesn't understand when I tell her not to do it. If you figure it out, let me know. Good Luck!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• everyone can bash me all they want to but i would pop her hand...i always popped my sons hands and told him no if "no" didnt work the first couple of times and pulling him away didnt work. He got the point.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my son was really bad at throwing stuff off the table though...i dont know if i would do it for hitting...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Um...it is totally possible to discipline a 10 month old and if you don't start something now you're in for a rough road ahead!

A tap on the hand and a modified time out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2009