• In the Spotlight:

Is yogurt and OK way to get the kids fruit?

My kids love yogurt... is this an OK way to get them fruit? We have a hard time incorporating fruit into our meals. So is this a good way to get it to them? They are 1 and 3 1/2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well it's really good for them. I don't know how much fruit is in the kind of yogurt you are serving, does it say on the container? You could also mix in your own fruit. Sometimes I cut up bananas and mix them in vanilla yogurt for my son. He loves bananas.

Another good way to get some fruit into your kids meals is to serve them raisins. You can have them plain as a snack or mix them into other foods like oatmeal or peanut butter.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i would make sure you check your yogurts though bc thought they may have some fruit there are some that are just packed full of high fructose corn syrup. i like dannons organic yogurt (it may say natural i dont remember) like said above i'd add gruit in the yogurt. and vanilla is way more tasty than plain. unfortunately the ones with all the different flavors arent as healthy as the organic, but just look at labels and decide which one is right for your kids. some are just as sugary as fruit snacks......so it takes a lil extra time, but worth finding something healthy for your babies.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yes yogurt is great! I sometimes do this...I will cut up some banana and/or fresh strawberries and actually mix it into the yogurt. It's delicious and my daughter loves it. That way she is still getting her fruit. Hope this helps.

www.workathomeunited.com/sassymom To request information on how to earn an income from home or just earn an extra paycheck for the holidays.
    ctwoodford

Answer by ctwoodford at 11:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• If you add your own fruit to yogurt (like plain or vanilla), yes, it's a good way to get fruits. However, most fruit yogurts have very little actual fruit in them so while the yogurt is good for them, it won't give them much fruit. Gerber has a line of toddler snacks that are made from only fruit (no sugars added) and fruit juices. You might want to try them.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• If you put the fruit in, yes. Otherwise, there is less than 1/2 a strawberry in each cup of strawberry yogurt. It's just flavoring.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yes, but I would use the light n fit or fat free. They don't need all the sugar.
    lesliesam

Answer by lesliesam at 2:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• like everyone else said, if you add the fruit yourself it is more effective. I usually give my DD some grapes as a snack before dinner while she's waiting for me to finish cooking. OR the Gerber snacks, those are great and have 100% fruit so they're really healthy.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009