Want to know What the CBO says about the republican health care alternative bill?

The Congressional Budget Office said on Wednesday that an alternative health care bill put forward by House Republicans would have little impact in extending health benefits to the roughly 30 million uninsured Americans, but would reduce average insurance premium costs for people who have coverage.

The Republican bill, which has no chance of passage, would extend insurance coverage to about 3 million people by 2019, and would leave about 52 million people uninsured, the budget office said, meaning the proportion of non-elderly Americans with coverage would remain about the same as now, at roughly 83 percent.

The budget office has said that the Democrats’ health care proposal would extend coverage to 36 million people, meaning that 96 percent of legal residents would have health benefits.
http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/budget-monitor-questions-impact-of-gop-health-bill/

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Less Government In our health the better and it will be cheaper. We have seen for the last 20-to 30 years what happens when insurance Co. take over. Prices have gone up.

Both parties are going the wrong way.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I am not saying I am for or against the proposed Republican health care bill (which admittedly has no chance of passing), but what I find most polarizing from the article is this:

and the total cost of insurance provisions in the Republican bill would be just $61 billion compared to $1.1 trillion for the Democrats’ bill.

IMO, we really need to take health care reform in steps and we need to do the things that will cost the least first.  Our economy isn't getting better and adding another tax burden on middle and lower income families won't help in the least.  Especially since there will be no benefit for four years.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• and the total cost of insurance provisions in the Republican bill would be just $61 billion compared to $1.1 trillion for the Democrats’ bill. IMO, we really need to take health care reform in steps and we need to do the things that will cost the least first. Our economy isn't getting better and adding another tax burden on middle and lower income families won't help in the least. Especially since there will be no benefit for four years.

Of course its cheaper, it covers only an extra 3 million compared to 37 million. Also it CUTS everyone else's benefits....If you go to the 1$ store and but a dish, ya can't complain when your dishwasher strips the pretty flowers off....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:21 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Like I said above:

I am not saying I am for or against the proposed Republican health care bill (which admittedly has no chance of passing)

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• So the Dem option covers less than 2% according to the CBO and the Republican option will have little impact? Sounds like BOTH are going about it all wrong. They need to start from scratch and listen to the American PEOPLE, not their special interest groups.. ALL OF THEM... jmo
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

Both parties are going the wrong way.

Sure, Grammie. I'd rather pay Steven Helmsley 7 million per year to tell me that my dr. is wrong and NOT cover simple procedures.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• So the Dem option covers less than 2% according to the CBO and the Republican option will have little impact?

I don't think Th edem bill is GREAT but it is better IMO..37 million vs 3 million is a no brainer,

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• it also does nothing with regards to pre-existing conditions . . .
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• WHere are they getting the 52 million left uninsured? I thought there were 46 million uninsured and 10 million of those were illegal aliens?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The CBO put the price tag for the GOP plan at $61 billion, a fraction of the $1.05 trillion cost estimate it gave to the House bill that lawmakers are set to vote on this weekend. And the CBO found that the Republican provision to reform medical malpractice liability would result in $41 billion in savings and increase revenues by $13 billion by reducing the cost of private health insurance plans.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2009