Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of Doctor treats Autism?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • There are several choices for your primary autism specialist: Pediatric & Adolescent Psychiatrist, Pediatric Neurologist, Developmental Pediatrician or your regular pediatrician if he or she is comfortable taking on that role (some are, but most are not & would rather defer to an autism specialist).

    Then, based on the individual child's needs (and b/c autism is so often comorbid w/so many different diagnoses), more specialists and/or therapists, including medical, behavioral, and/or educational, may be added to the list.


    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

  • Schools treat the education and behavioral issues.Neurologists treat the seizures and other issues that can crop up.Nutritionists can work with the families.Most pediatricians can deal with all the childhood issues,including those autism related.

    Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN