What do you put on your woodstove for good smells?

For people that heat with a wood stove. What do you put on it to simmer and give off good scents? DH used to put on fresh peppermint leaves. But it may have been peed' on! LOL~! Cats! Gotta' love 'em!! Most times what we tried just didn't do it! But many scents get my migraines triggered! Or I get breathing issues!! Thank you for any thoughtful tips! They're much appreciated! Thank You as always!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 9:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've never heard of doing that but cinnemon sticks came to mind.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have simmered things on my stove before for the smell......usually baked apples and cinnamon is a fave.

I get those headaches too and its so hard to find that one you don't trigger a headache. Even perfumes can get me and body washes.

Maybe Orange Cinnamon.....Lemon and cinnamon.......just experiment with things but usually cinnamon works well.......maybe even cloves in water?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Here is a link for ya :

http://store.woodstove.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16550&cat=322&page=1

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It's been awhile since I've had a wood stove, but I used to put a pot of water on with OdoBan in it. Here lately, I put a pot of water to simmer on my electric range, and I have some gingerbread cookie scented body wash that I pour a little bit in, it smells heavenly! Also, I have tried vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon altogether in the pot. Use your imagination and figure out what works for you.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My Grammy always had a pot of water on her woodstove (for humidity) with natural spices put in. She insisted only on fresh nutmeg, real cinnamon sticks, and whole cloves. She also loved to set a small bundle of sage to smoke in a special dish on top of the woodstove, too.
    Another thing she did was to buy different types of wood for different types of burning scents. She loved to use cedar and hickory most, but tried other woods as they were available if they were appropriate to burn inside the house.
    We are Native American (Blackfoot) so she loved to keep her lifestyle all natural, yet pleasant.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009