How can I get my daughter to stop waking up at EXACTLY the same time every night?

My precious daughter wakes up every night exactly 1 hour after I put her to bed (between 8:30 and 9:00) it takes me about 30 minutes to get her back to sleep. She then wake up sometime between 12 and 1:30 and then again between 4:30 and 5:00 which is when I usually give and and am too stiff from snoozing on and off on the couch and give up and put her in the bed with me and the hubby. Fact is I only sleep for about 2 and 3 hours a night oin my own bed. My back is killing me and honestly I'm exausted I've been doing this EVERY NIGHT for about 2 months now. I tried to let her cry herself to sleep and neither me nor my husband could take it, she was getting so upset. She is 9 months old and does not sleep more than 2.5 hours during the day! I'm clueless, and I'm not really 100% sold on this"cry them self to sleep" thing. Does anyone have ANY words of wisdom? PLEASE... I'm one desperate Mommy!!!!

LoveMyLillybug

Asked by LoveMyLillybug at 10:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Letting your child cry themselves to sleep is a VERY difficult thing to do, but the reward is fantastic. Babies need to cry; it's their way of letting out all of that pent up energy they have.

Basically as soon as our son started getting fussy and restless, rubbing his eyes and letting us know he was tired we would go change his diaper and make him a bottle. We turned off all of the lights and the TV and put on a soothing music station and feed him. Then we'd lay him down in his bed, tuck him in and go to OUR room on the other side of the house. We turned off the baby monitor so we couldn't hear him crying and watched some TV for 15 minutes. AFTER 15 minutes (and not a minute sooner) we would turn the monitor on. If he was still crying we'd go get him and soothe him, bring him back out and let him play until he was tired and passed out. Repeat every night. It took us 4 nights and now he goes down with little fuss. Good luck!
    shaynazara

Answer by shaynazara at 10:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Also, I work in a bookstore and I came across a great title: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Sleep-Training/dp/1592575404

I found it in the bargain section. You could go to your local bookstore and ask if the title is available. The book gave me great insight and made me feel better about my sleep training choices.
    shaynazara

Answer by shaynazara at 10:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• If your picking her up when she wakes up at night- try to stop. I have a bottle becide my bed with the powder formula inside, and when my son wakes up I mix it with bottled water quickly. I dont pick him up, just feed him, and he goes back to sleep.
    Getting things prepaired before bed makes it somewhat easier.
    Also, if she enjoys sleeping with you better, try taking 'your' pillowcase, and laying it down for her to sleep on. My son like this, he thinks he's in our bed because of the smell. He thinks that Im there for him, and it keeps him sleeping a little longer.
    GoodLuck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• She's waking an hour after you put her to bed. Try keeping her up for that hour. Or split the difference and make it 1/2 hour.

When she wakes, does she need fed? If she does and you're not feeding her then it's going to take longer for her to go to sleep.

Do you go to her the instant she stirs? Don't. Give it a minute or two and see if she goes back to sleep.

Not all babies are ready to sleep through the night even at 9 months.

Go to bed when she goes to bed!! If she goes back down at 9, go to bed yourself. You know she's going to wake again in a few hours. Get the sleep when you can.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Are you feeding her when she wakes up?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I don't feed her when she wakes up. She usually takes a 6 oz. bottle with in the hour before she goes to bed. She is never wet. It's liek she just wakes up and realises that I'm not there and starts crying bewcause she knows if she does here comes mommy. I'm trying to wait a bit befroe I go into her bedroom, becasue I know that she's nto going anywhere and honestly, I'm just too tired to take off running. I've gotten to where I giv her a few minutes before I go in there, just holding my breathe hoping that she will go back to sleep. I've even bought a little rainforest aquarium thing that plays nature noises, and music with lights and the whole 9 yards, it does not work.... nothing does... gues this is just pay back for not sleeping when I was little either....
    LoveMyLillybug

Answer by LoveMyLillybug at 1:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• *eye roll* Babies do not need to cry. If you aren't sold on it, don't let anyone else pressure you into it. Your baby. I like ticcled blue's answer. That's what I was going to say.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• How would she react if daddy came in?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Well, I have an 8 mo.. but we do not co-sleep because I have night terrors.. Thank goodness he likes his crib. He just naturally has started only waking up twice -- once an hour after he goes to bed and I feed him!! I think he is gearing up for the long night and wants extra food, it is called cluster-feeding. He then sleeps for 5 hours, wakes up, and I feed him again and he goes back to sleep for another 5 1/2 hours.. I am BF, and I think it is possible your FF baby is hungry.

If you aren't against co-sleeping, why don't you just co-sleep after the first real wake-up at 12-1:30 ? Maybe she wouldn't wake up at 4:30-5:00? And maybe you try feeding her at one of the wake-ups, maybe she -is- actually hungry and wants more food for the long night?

The no more than 2.5 hours during the day is actually what she is supposed to be sleeping during the day based on her age. Cont...

Anonymous

• If you don't want to co-sleep, though, I don't know why you co-sleep. I mean, how would you like it if someone had you in a cold.. lonely.. scary place by yourself and after a while they'd put you in a warm.. happy.. calming place with your mama? lol

I WISH I could co-sleep, I think it is more natural. But I don't get why if you are willing to co-sleep some, and you all sleep better in the bed, why don't you co-sleep more until your baby is out of the "night-wake" age which is about 14-15 months. You could start phasing out the co-sleeping more (I told you to start her out in her crib at night) when she is about a year old. Start trying to leave her in her bed til the next wake-up THEN, etc.

Some babies and people DO, and some do not sleep better in bed together, but, since you guys SEEM to.. I don't see why you shouldn't try a little extra co-sleeping?

I think you'd find it refreshing, more sleep!
    Anonymous