how do you explain to your kids that y...

...that you have less money because if this tough economy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I just tell them money is tight. I feel it's an important lesson for my kids to learn budgeting and that money doesn't grow on trees.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Touch one. You don't want them to worry. Maybe just let them know you are cutting back in some areas and they just have to deal with it?

I'm only concerned because I have a friend with a 4 year old. The 4 year old didn't want to eat for a few weeks becuase she knew mommy and daddy couldn't afford food. That shouldn't be a concern for a young child. So just be careful how you choose to tell your kids. It's OK to be open and honest, but make sure they know not to worry and to still have fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I just tell them that money is tight and we can't buy some things because having a roof over our heads, our bills paid, and food on the table is more important.

I'm with deadheadjen, it's important for them to learn that money doesn't grow on trees and that we have to watch what we spend money on.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You just tell them that everybody has to have a budget, and that sometimes circumstances can change, affecting the amount of money that's in the budget, and that a smart person knows that when this happens, you need to adjust your spending so that you can stay in the budget, and not get into any trouble.

Then you tell them that sometimes that means we can't have all the extra things we would like, which we don't like doing, but it makes sure that we can still afford to have the things we need, which is a good thing.

(Yes, I know, unfortunately, there are a lot who are having to do without needed things, too, but unless it's really that dire, you don't want to scare them.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i dont tell him we dont have as much money --- it isnt his problem -- he is 4 and knows mommy and daddy go to work for the money. when he does something wasteful i talk to him about not wasting ... about how money will have to go to buy (ex more toothpaste because he squirted the entire tube on his brush) more and now we cant go out to the mall or buy toys with that money. he seems to really understand it.... idk though.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• We dont because its not something that is really chit-chatted about when they are paying attention.

The only question we get about money is when my 5 yr old asks why daddy has to work and we tell him to pay the bills.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2009