still unemployed

I am at my wits end. I am a recently single mother and I was a SAHM while married. My family is supporting me now and I can't seem to find employment. I have an associates in bus. admin, and am currently in school for my bachelor's in marketing. I cannot find a job for anything. I even tried applying in retail for simple jobs like sales associate and still I get not even an interview. I've had my resume and cover letter checked over and over for any mistakes and it's damn near perfect. I have no idea why I cannot obtain work. I do not want to depend on my family for the rest of my life. Any tips or suggestions? Is it that I haven't been working for a while?

DaGoodLife

Asked by DaGoodLife at 11:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have been doing Numbers 1-5 above, and I am still unemployed. I've been unemployed for 11-months now, I have 14-years of experience, and a college degree. Its not only you, so don't be down on yourself. Lots of people are having the same results as you and I.
    Anonymous

• This may not be a perm solution for you but I make extra money working online. I've cleared over 14k in the last year, it's not a way to get rich, but you can avoid retail/fast food jobs by doing it. You can see what I'm doing at http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/ if you're interested. (Everything posted is free)

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It's probably that you have been out of the work field for a while. Employers do see that and questions your skills and ability to work with certain programs etc.

Why dont you try investing in a home business?
    You have a degree in business and are working on a marketing degree and at the same time you can stay home with your child.

I work with ameriplan visit my website www.freedomathometeam.com for more details on the business and visit the about me section to see my story. If you have any more questions email me at cditren@ameriplan.net

Best of luck to ya!

Cheryl
    cditren

Answer by cditren at 11:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• only $1 to join!! NO RISK!

HI,
    I'm happily engaged and we are about to buy our first home. We live in a small town where it is really hard to find a decent job. I found a home-based opportunity with no large investments and no risk! I work in the comfort of my own home with an international, 24 year old, Inc 500 company. All I do is set up customer accounts and do some online marketing. I work around my own schedule, with a group of amazing team members. I make great residual income! I never even have to leave my own home to be successful! I enjoy working for a company that delivers a life-changing opportunity to succeed.

If this is something you'd be interested in, please visit my website.

www.workathomeunited.com/lynsey

I think that once you hear more information about the company, you'll love it just as much as I do!

I hope to hear from you soon :)

lynsey7

Answer by lynsey7 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 8 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 12:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I am so sorry to hear about your situation. It is scary, I know how you feel, I was in a similar situation myself. A thought for you... I have been working at home the last few months and have a 5 year old in school and a 2 year old at home with me. There are no parties, no stocking of inventory, no MLM! I would love to share more about what I do with you and answer any questions that you may have. You can visit my website at www.beingunited.com or email me at rebeccabowen@live.com. Hope we can talk soon! Thanks
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com ..
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, in addition to coaching

It is definitely to get your Linkedin profile updated and start your stealth job search. There are lots of great tips, and support, in the Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Your school is not helping you to get a job? Are they accredited? I would be in their employment office every chance I got. I know some of them have lazy people in the office but they are being paid by the government to find you jobs and if you have to light a fire under someone's ass I would!
    Anonymous

• I live in the worst state for unemployment, Michigan. My best friend hasn't worked in 4 years and she got a job working 3rd shift so her husband could be there with their kids. It is possible and don't accept excuses. You may not get the glamorous job but as long as it pays money it's all good.
    Anonymous