Wetting the bed...UGH!

My baby is 17 months old and was born a preemie. He seems to have caught up with the other babies in his age bracket, but I am having a problem...He wants a full bottle of Soy milk (he is allergic to cows milk) before bed and wakes up TWICE during the night wanting more milk! It is driving me nuts, because the more he drinks the more he PEES. He is peeing all over EVERYTHING. Pamper, pajamas, bed sheets and bed pads are all SOAKED. I have to get up twice during the night and change everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?? I know that he is still relatively young, but my other two children never drank this much milk. He is so attached to his bottle that he wont even start a sippy cup. What do I do about this night-time bottle and peeing thing???

oneprittygirl

Asked by oneprittygirl at 11:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try only offering water at bed time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Well, I have tried only water and he will drink it. Its just that I'm still left with the whole peeing all over everything thing and is this normal to want that much to drink during the night?
    oneprittygirl

Answer by oneprittygirl at 11:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• slowly wean him off the milk and substitute water. Don't give in to the temper tantrums that will ensue, because they will happen. tell yourself that things will get better and you'll see that your son will lessen his demands for milk.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I don't think that changing to water will help. I did that and my son drank water happily. The water made it easier for me, I just left a bottle of water or 2 by my bed when I went to sleep, but it didn't cut down his getting up. Do you use overnight diapers?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Honestly, you have to be strong. Avoid Drinking after bedtime, that is the only way.
    NO DRINKING AT NIGHT, IT CAN DESTROY HIS TEETH.
    Prepare the baby:
    Explain to him, tommorrow is a new day, you get a sippy cup before bed. The babys need the baba's at night now. Give him a sippy cup with a character he likes. He is at that age, where a baba is not good for him, and be strong after a few nights, he will get use to it, and won't wake up no more. At least for a baba
    Make it exciting....

As long as medically he don't need it, drinks at night.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• @Mompam, same here. My son will take the water happily. He just keeps getting up and every time wants something to drink. I have not tried the overnight diapers, are they helpful?? and he is 24 lbs, this may seem silly, but should i try a pull-up??
    oneprittygirl

Answer by oneprittygirl at 11:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• @KFree907...He is 17 months, but I dont think he can fully understand no baba. He doesnt talk yet except for a few words like "tank you", ''mom" , "no" and "dada". I tried to skip one bottle one night and he won the war! He cried louder and louder and nonstop at that. I was so exhausted. He has 8 teeth now. Is this bad for his teeth even at this age?? BTW...he will take an occasional sippy cup when offered, but if I try to give it to him when he wants a bottle, he throws it at me and cries!
    oneprittygirl

Answer by oneprittygirl at 11:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The thing with water is, if you drink enough through out the day, you will actually use the bathroom less. The body is trying to flush the impurities that other drinks out of the system. If you drink plenty of water, the system should be pretty good at night and he should pee less often, even drinking hte same amount of water.

How much is he drinking/eating during the day? He shouldn't be craving this much fluid at night. Maybe offer more solids. And be strong. You are the parent, not him. So set the rule to x drinks or x amount. So give him a cup, but only fill it 1/3 of water. That's all. If he wakes again later, do the same. do this for a week. Next week, fill it 1/4 with water. Less and less each week.
    Anonymous

• He's old enough to get through the night without having to have a bottle of milk. Offer a drink of water only.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone for all of the helpful advice! I will try some of it and let you know how it turns out.
    oneprittygirl

Answer by oneprittygirl at 4:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2009