Democrats' plan to help 'uninsurables' questioned

I'm wondering if those of you who insist this bill would be a good thing are really doing research on it. Is this really going to help anyone or will it just be more of the same red tape and government foolery?
I'm not for it at all and thats one of the reasons why. I don't trust the government to tell us the whole story and I know what they have in store for us will not be good. It will cost everyone in the long run

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091105/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_uninsurables;_ylt=AuCXkpzy8Rd9DxY54DEjhrns.6F4;_ylu=X3oDMTJ1cGU1YTJiBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkxMTA1L3VzX2hlYWx0aF9jYXJlX3VuaW5zdXJhYmxlcwRjcG9zAzIEcG9zAzIEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNkZW1vY3JhdHNwbGE-

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Now, concerns are being raised about the design of the high-risk pools. In addition to the six-month wait, there's a more fundamental issue — whether $5 billion set aside for the three-year program is enough. The money would be used to help people in poor health pay premiums.

~ Let's look at all of the OTHER government programs. Have they EVER set aside enough? Have they ever effectively planned forward to ensure they are spending appropriately? IMO Democrats are hoping that the program GROWS so they have to ask for more money. In asking for more money they will add other programs.. It's a vicious circle at the taxpayers expense...  And the Government continues to get bigger... jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I've heard that if we are uninsured,we will pay a gov't fine.I'll admit,I haven't listened to all of it,just because of some of the $%#$#^& that comes out of that man's mouth.
    Won't matter,really because like all ins. so far...I have a pre-existing condition which isn't covered...--'death panel' candidate
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 11:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I don't see a general 6 month waiting period for high risk people comparable to what they encounter now when trying to get insurance or keep their insurance.

I do agree that 6 months is unacceptable for anyone with a terminal condition. THAT is EASILY fixable with an amendment. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Bills are not drafted with the intent for perfection, we mold them into what we need them to be through the amendment process.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I read this, waiting 6 months isn't ideal, but is WAY BETTER than what happens now,.Which is people DIE because they can;t afford operations, treatments etc....EVER.

I would like to see NO waiting period. What does the republican bill say?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:54 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I've heard that if we are uninsured,we will pay a gov't fine.I'll admit,I haven't listened to all of it,just because of some of the $%#$#^& that comes out of that man's mouth. Won't matter,really because like all ins. so far...I have a pre-existing condition which isn't covered...--'death panel' candidate

The death panels are a lie, ask Dick Armey who admitted they are NOT TRUE

the interview, Armey reveals that he doesn't personally believe the "death panels" myth but he isn't too bothered by such hysteria, on display at town-hall rallies promoted by FreedomWorks. Despite the fact that the group launched a website called DontKillGrandma.com, Armey dismisses concerns about such lies. "Are their fears exaggerated? Yeah, probably. But are Obama's promises exaggerated? I may think it's silly but if people want to believe that," Armey says, referring to death panels, "it's OK with me."

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Sure would be nice if there was healthy debate in Washington among our elected officials. Ohh and maybe they could televise it on C-Span and come up with a bi-partisan plan that incorporated ideas from both sides that was for the betterment of the AMERICAN people and not special interest groups? Hrmmmm, where have I heard that promise made BUT not seen anyone follow through on it??? hrmmmmmmm

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Sure would be nice if there was healthy debate in Washington among our elected officials.

You can't do that when one side screams, THEY DON'T NEED US THEY CAN DO IT WITHOUT US

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The Republicans have been shut out because they do not agree with the Dems. Every time they ad an amendment it is tossed out.
    The Dems just keep sayigng they aren't helping because it looks better for them. Give me a break, the Republicans are doing everything they can to get their ideas in but obviously the Dems won't budge.
    There also can be no bipartisanship if one side keeps saying " We won, our way or the highway"
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My dad had to wait 6 months for the VA to finally test him for cancer and he died waiting. 6 months is a long wait and for many will not be any better than what is going on now. They said they would do away with preexisiting conditions they need to actually do that with not waiting period. This bill is not about helping people though it is about Congressman and our President repaying favors to those they owe.
    Anonymous

• You can't do that when one side screams, THEY DON'T NEED US THEY CAN DO IT WITHOUT US

Seriously sweet? Can you provide a link with those exact words said during a formal debate and agreed upon by the majority of one side of the aisle?  That would be like saying you agree with or even ALL Democrats agree with ALL things Nancy Pelosi, or Harry Ried Or Alan Grayson have individually said. EVERY word. Seriously??

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2009