question that stems from the one about watching an execution...

After reading the question asking if you would want to watch the execution of someone who killed your loved one, one of the answers made me want to ask this question...

If, God forbid, one of your children (or other loved one) was sentenced to be executed, would you want to be there? Why or why not?

I don't know if I would want to be there if it was to see my loved one's killer die, but I can say 100% that if it was my child being executed, I would do everything in my power to be there. Because, as horrifying as it would be, that is my baby, and I wouldn't want them to die alone - yes, there are witnesses, but I would want them to be able to die knowing that someone who loved them was by their side, similar to being with a loved one dying in a hospital... It would kill me, but I wouldn't want them to go through that alone :-(

Thoughts?

sailorwifenmom

Asked by sailorwifenmom at 11:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you, I would have to be there with my child. I am sure that the victims family would want to say something hurtful, and I could take that on the chin within reason. But even if your child becomes something horrible, they are still your child - you can't just turn off that love.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• its so hard to say..i dont believe in the death penalty for one reason...they suffer more being alive everyday rotting in prison when they put u to death its quick and painless not fair to the victims families.i believe they should suffer.so with that i wouldnt want to watch the man that killed my loved one,and as for if it were my child idk..i was raised with tough love if i new my child had commited a horrible crime im not sure id want him to think i condone his behavier by being by his side at his exacution i no u may think thats harsh but i think its sick when u see the parents of a child rapist or murder crying over there son all it shows me is that they support there child and what they did i would have no respect for them.
    coffeefreak996

Answer by coffeefreak996 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I see what you mean, and I appreciate you answering. Please, don't take this as an argumentative tone, because I DO NOT mean it this way - I just mean this as a philosophical discussion of the topic and your answer :-)

I'm also a tough love sort of mom :-) I agree that it's wrong for parents of someone who did something like this to act as if it's ok, or to make excuses. But, what if, say, the parent was there, saying "what my child did was heinous, and as a mother, I will have to live with knowing that my child destroyed someone else and robbed them of their life, and their family of their loved one, but, as much as I condemn what they did, I need to be here for the child they were, not the killer they became?"

Or something along those lines. Would that still be as offensive to you?

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Part of the reason I ask is because of the previous question, and part of it is because my mil is friends with a woman who, long story short, has an adult dd who made a lot of very bad choices in her life, including having a guy who was a meth head just out of prison move in with her and her 3 kids (her mom did NOT know this, btw...) The horrible outcome of that was the druggie ended up basically killing her youngest (she had 2 boys and a toddler dd). Basically, he beat her so badly that, after many days in ICU and on life support, they declared her brain dead and terminated life support. There was more to it than that, but that's the bare basics of the situation.

He is back in prison for this, and the so called "mom" (I use that term in the very strictest biological terms...) is also in prison for felony child endangerment and neglect. Her mom is furious with her, and

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• cont

Her mom is furious with her, and is devastated b/c her granddaughter is dead, and her grandsons are gone (with their bio dad, who was a deadbeat and in another state, he refuses to let her visit them, but he will gladly keep the several thousand she gave him for the baby's funeral, just to find out that a charity group paid for it.)

She's furious, and she's sad, and there's a lot of times she can't stand to even look at her daughter, but she still feels like she can't walk away from her, because this is her child. She also feels guilty, like what did she maybe do or not do as a mom that put her dd on this path...

I think it's a really hard situation, and I pray that I'm never put in it. :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009