to induce or not?

ok so i'm past my due date. i had posted earlier that my ultrasound said my due date was next wk but when i saw dr yesterday she said that after 10 wks the due date is not accurtae so that is why they went with my last period. so i'm past due now. the dr wants me to get induced but i don't like the idea at all. so i need some women on here who have done it to give me their experiences. i had a friend who told me hers and it scared the crap out of me. also as of yet the baby is not in distress since i'm technically only 1-2 days late but they keep pushing the issue even before i got late. i really do not feel as if i'm going anytime soon. i even cleaned my car seats and back seats and interior for 4 hours yesterday and still feel fully intact. i have been 2 cm dialited and 50% effaced for the last 3 wks. so is induction a bad idea? why did you have one done?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you could have them strip ur membranes first and see if that does anything. i was induced with my second and it was a long process but no worse than my labor with my first. it's a personal choice for sure. you can always just wait until you go on ur own.
    mommy2xp

Answer by mommy2xp at 11:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I was induced with #3. it was fast and furious - I had asked for the epidural before things really got started so that I could be able to have some kind of control. from initial IV meds, epidural, and then breaking my water baby was born within 3 hours. but I'd been having unproductive labour for 6weeks so was exhausted anyway.

good luck, if you feel its not right then don't let them force you into doing something that you feel is wrong.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i would never get induced if there wasn't a medical need. well unless i was like 3 weeks past my due date. ;) i just googled these up so i'm sure there are better ones. gl!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/109908/what_you_should_know_risks_of_labor.html?cat=52

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/induction/a/risksinduction.htm

it's all up to you but i do think you should know the risks. if you don't want it done, just tell your doctor so. :) or ask him to schedule an induction at like 42 weeks and 3 days or something.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i should have said that with my first, i went into labor naturally at 41 weeks and had a wonderful natural labor.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i read the risks that is why i don't want to do them but needed personal experiences. so far no one has had any bad ones. is there a person here who has?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I don't agree with induction that are just for a matter of convenience. I think they should only be done for medical reasons. Going past your due date can be a medical reason.

My sister was induced when she went 1 week past her due date. My niece had to be vacuumed out and whisked off to ICU. She ended up being fine, but since she went over she had been breathing in the merconium and had developed breathing problems.

My doctor doesn't think you should induce until you're a week past due.

If you've been stuck with your progress for a few weeks now, you may possibly end up needing a c-section even after the induction.

Good luck.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It is safer for your baby and you to allow labor to begin spontaneously.

Your due date is still an estimate.
    It's based on the average length of pregnancy. It is a MID-point in the 4-week due period, too.
    If this is your first baby, you should know the average is actually 41 weeks, 1 day.

Why add unnecessary risks to a safe pregnancy??
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Please be sure that you fully understand your risks and benefits so that you're making an informed decision.   A doctor that wants to induce a healthy mom for simply being "past the due date" is  adding risks.   You can learn more about this~

Postdates: Separating Fact from Fiction

Let the Baby Decide: The Case against Inducing Labor

Lie of the EDD

The Tree and the Fruit

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The gestational age of an unborn baby is best determined by looking at a number of different factors. If you combine an accurate date of the last menstrual period with a first-trimester pelvic exam, fundal measurement (from the pubic bone to the top of the uterus), date of "quickening," and a fetal heart tone, then confirm these findings with a first-trimester ultrasound, you'll end up with a due date that is still only 85 percent accurate, plus or minus 14 days. Second-trimester ultrasounds tend to be inaccurate by plus or minus 8 days, and third-trimester ultrasounds by a whopping 22 days.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It's probably best to stick with the "late November, early December" method unless you are fortunate enough to know the exact date of conception, another way to attempt to pinpoint a due date. Medical science recognizes in vitro or artificial insemination as the only accurate means of determining conceptual age. However, if a woman was using an ovulation predictor test correctly, or her husband was home between business trips only once after her period ended (and she actually wrote this date down on a calendar), she could nail down her due date by counting forward ten lunar months from conception. Even so, she might end up with a baby who stubbornly decides to belong to that 10 percent who go beyond 40 weeks. Despite all of these calculations, an induced baby may turn out to be premature rather than postmature.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009