Can you help settle this argument? Does a 14 month NEED a bottle?

My mom is on my butt about this. My baby had no problem giving up his bottle at 12 months. She screams at me that he needs to be drinking milk out of a bottle for his nutrition. I told her no, at 14 months he isn't getting his nutrition from milk. He has molars and eats everything, 3 meals a day and 3-4 snacks. I told her that he only is supposed to have 16-24 oz of milk each day and he definately gets that. He has two 8-10 oz cups of milk and a 8oz pedia sure each day. She INSISTS he doesn't drink that much because at her house he doesn't, but that's because he is too busy playing with Aunt Chey(she's 7) and the kitties AND he doesn't have HIS cup.

I'm about 95% sure I'm right about this. Oh my baby is little, 17 pounds at his 1yr check up, that's why he drinks pedia sure but he eats like a 30 pounder. That's also why my mom thinks he still needs the nutrition from a bottle.

I'm also calling the pediatrician about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You are right! My pediatrician told me they no longer need the bottle @ 12 months old! In fact the longer they stay on the bottle the worse it is for their teeth! With my daughter she told me that the bottle should be completely gone by 15 months old max, but after 12 months they DO NOT need the bottle!
    ambergrace612

Answer by ambergrace612 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• if he didn't fight and is happy and healthy .... who cares where the nutrition comes from.

its not like a bottle will magically add nutrients and healthy stuff...

my middle dd was and is tiny (she's 6 and barely 30pounds) - just a really high metabolism. she still eats like a horse.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You're right. You're mom is wrong.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You're right on this one!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Sometimes, mother isn't always right!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You're right. He doesn't need a bottle. The bottle will NOT give him more nutrition than he's already getting as he doesn't need anymore milk.

In fact, drinking too much fluids and not eating enough food can be part of the reason why kids are malnutritioned. Sometimes I have to limit how much my kids drink... even just water... during meals or they will drink 5 cups full and not eat a thing.

My son is also on the small side (just 22 pounds at 2 1/2). He's been the same weight for over 6 months. But he eats like nobody's business, so no one is really worried about him.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You're right but if he's not drinking enough milk at her house then perhaps you could get him a special sippy cup to leave there.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• He doesn't need a bottle but just to satisfy your mom an actually settle the argument......maybe you could buy a duplicate of his favorite cup and leave it at her house so she can see that he does, indeed, drink milk. I have a tall and lanky one year old myself that eats alot but people act like I starve the poor fellow, lol! I'm lucky if he drinks a sippy cup full of milk a day, but he does love yogurt and cheese. My fight is with people giving him things like southern sweet tea and koolaid to drink. I try to limit his beverages to milk, water (His favorite) and a little 100% juice and even then I don't encourage over drinking like the PP said.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You are totally right. My son was more than willing to give up his bottle at one. My Pediatrician was actually concerned about him getting too much milk and not enough solids when he was just 9 months old.
    Right now, the Pediatrician recommends 16-24 ounces of milk per day and I only give it to him after meals to make sure he eats.
    Just make sure that he gets healthy, balanced meals.
    On those teething days where my son wont seem to eat one full meal, I give him a Graduates "Smart Sip" in place of one cup of milk.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• you are right, dont let her make him regress.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2009