What all do you have on your Thanksgiving dinner table?

This will be my first year cooking thanksgiving dinner. It is my husbands favorite holiday. It is going to be at my in-laws house but Im cooking it cuz they will be out of town up til the day before and won't have time to go shopping so I will be doing the shopping. I need help figuring out what all to buy and make.

Raidensmom

Asked by Raidensmom at 11:56 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Holidays

• Your best bet is to ask your Husband. I'm not saying that as a cop out. It is so different depending on culture, religion, and even the part of the country you're from. I guess the general basics though are turkey, dressing (or stuffing depending on where you are), gravy, cranberries or cranberry sauce, potatoes, yams/sweet potatoes, and a green veggie. Desserts pumpkin pie is a standard, at our house Pecan pie is a must..my neighbors insist on berry pies..good luck
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Turkey, and a small ham since everyone doesnt like turkey... um dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, home made macraoni and cheese, some GREENS always lol and some sweetpotatoes
    Butterflyluvn88

Answer by Butterflyluvn88 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I definitely go overboard on the Holidays. I love to cook and when everyone is home it is a great excuse to do it. I try to make everyone's favorite so we tend to have way too muc food.
    -turkey
    -dressing
    -mash potatoes/gravy
    -corn
    -german green beans
    -jello salad (family recipe)

-broccoli salad
    -homemade rolls
    -baked beans
    -cole slaw
    -pumpkin pie
    -pecan pie
    -apple pie
    -cherry pie
    Anonymous

• Yes I agree that you should find out what your husbs faves are and go from there. Also, since it is your first time cooking let me caution you not to go over board! Turkey, stuffing, potatoes and a green w/desert should be fine! All the side dishes and rolls etc really add up and make timing it even harder. In my opinion the timing is the hardest because you can be as organized as much as possible w/your lists, shopping, menu etc but when it all comes down to it, timing the cooking of it all in one oven is confusing the first time. So that's my suggestion. Ask for his top few must haves, and maybe buy the pies this yr! Good luck! : ) I make my own small scale version for my little family too and feel free to msg me for my menu and shopping list if you need help. It's fun but a lot of work! Happy Thanksgiving!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Turkey (we don't eat pork), stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, candied sweet potatoes, corn, cranberry sauce (whole berry and jellied), macaroni and cheese, biscuits, gravy, rolls... pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, apple pie, peach cobbler....... a feast. And I get to cook it all (I love it though, I really enjoy cooking). Ok, I'm getting hungry now. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Ask your husband if there are any favorites the family likes. Maybe something he had every year when at home. We have spiral sliced ham because DH doesn't like Turkey. I always make a special sweetpotato casserole that the kids love. You could make a nice jello mold salad if they like that kind of thing. We went to friends last year and they had a yummy Butternut squash soup as a starter.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2009