Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leaving my Husband! His parents do drugs and are alcoholics, how do I prove this in court so my children are not around them?

My husband and I have been having problems for some time. I am an idiot and have stayed for one reason, my children's well being. My husband is a looser. I finally found him a job and it pays nothing but at least it's a job. I have a good job and can support my kids. However, I have wanted to leave for some time but I'm scared for my children. My husbands parents drink excessively, smoke pot and crack. I don't want my kids around that and I know my husband will have to go live with them once I leave because there is no way he can afford rent. How do I bring this up in court, how do I prove it. My in laws never see our kids so how do I keep it that way if my husband gets them for visitation? Help please!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • You need to go talk to a lawyer immediately. Have him document all your concerns with your kids being around either your husband or his family. You can make it where your husband has to have supervised visits, and if I'm correct (I know this is my friend's circumstance) you can stipulate WHO much be the supervisor for the visitations so you can appoint someone you really trust. If you are around your inlaws and you witness them doing these things, you need to document the time, the offense, and anything else that is pertinent information and give it all to your lawyer. Good luck!

    Answer by AprilDJC at 1:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

  • Legally, I don't think you can bring his parents into it. Child custody is betwenn the parents of the children unless it's a grandparent or someone else trying to get visitation. He is obviously a good dad if you have stayed with him for your childrens well being as you said.
    I'm wondering if you've considered that it's possible for him to get primary custody of the kids, and your child support would go toward thier rent? If he hasn't been working then I'm assuming that he was the one at home taking care of the house and family? That would make him the primary care giver and that's who the courts are supposed to give custody to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

  • You should look into the family laws of your state. If you were in my state you wouldn't get custody.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

  • Anon 2:10 this is the poster. I didn't stay with him because he is good for them, I stayed with him because I knew he would have to live with his parents and they are not good for my kids. He was not the primary care giver. My mom takes care of my kids. So no custody would never go to him. I wouldn't be asking this question if I thought that custody would go to him. I don't want the kids at his parents house where he would have to live.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

  • I can see where anon got that from,

     I am an idiot and have stayed for one reason, my children's well being.

    I don't know, I think you should do like anon said and look into your state's family laws. I know the judge blocked my ex-mother in law from my divorce proceedings for the simple reason that she wasn't involved.

    Maybe a Jon and Kate split? That way the kids could be with both parents at different times in their own home instead of the Grandparents or where ever your ex-husband will be living?


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

  • well if he would be living there maybe you could tell the courts that the house he lives in is not suitable for the kids. and if that doesnt work call social servies. idk i have never been in this situation.

    Answer by Dusti3 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.