Wanted to ask this here since in the other section I get spam answers...

I am at my wits end. I am a recently single mother and I was a SAHM while married. My family is supporting me now and I can't seem to find employment. I have an associates in bus. admin, and am currently in school for my bachelor's in marketing. I cannot find a job for anything. I even tried applying in retail for simple jobs like sales associate and still I get not even an interview. I've had my resume and cover letter checked over and over for any mistakes and it's damn near perfect. I have no idea why I cannot obtain work. I do not want to depend on my family for the rest of my life. Any tips or suggestions? Is it that I haven't been working for a while?

DaGoodLife

Asked by DaGoodLife at 12:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Be sure when you fill out apps to highlight the skills you used as a SAHM, like time management, etc. Do you have a resume? You should make several versions of your resume and submit it when you submit apps, with different resumes tailored to the type of work you're applying for.
    Anonymous

• Aw, I'm sorry things are looking so crappy right now. But you know the old saying....It gets worse before it gets better. So hopefully this is the worst of it. I'll sent a prayer your way :)
    Anonymous

• Thank you anon
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 12:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Can you post an ad on a local bulletin board to do housecleaning? You could probably pick up a couple mornings of work a week doing that while you hope for another job. How about busing tables in a restaurant? There's a lot of turnover with restaurant work, even if you have to get in at the bottom. It's still SOMETHING.
    Anonymous

• Anon :44, I've applied at restaurants too. the area i live in is really slow so at the moment they are not hiring. I even applied at McDonalds
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 12:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Go to Manpower or another temp agency. If you get a temp job and demonstrate how hard you can work, they will usually keep you on or find you another spot in the company. Good luck.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• HAve you tried temp offices? The work may not be steady but it could get you in the door and around offices.
    loveTHM

Answer by loveTHM at 12:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Housekeeping is a good business if it's something you are good at. I used to work for a cleaning company (she owned her business, and had 4 workers) and she charged $200 per house. Each house took about 2 hours with 2-3 workers, and I ended up making average $40-$50 per house. So if you were to advertise and clean one house a day on your own, and charge $100 per house, for 3-4 hours of work that is $500 a week, not bad :). And many homeowners don't mind if you even take children with you, but with making that much you could put them in daycare for a few hours if they're not in school.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I was going to suggest temp agencies. They have ins and you may find permenant work there.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It's the economy, it won't always be this bad. Hang in there.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2009