How do you get a child to stop sucking their thumb?

It is drastically altering my son's teeth and I'd like to get him to stop. He is 3 years old.

Kalebs_Momma

Asked by Kalebs_Momma at 12:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well when my daughter was 3 i treid to get her to stop. i bought this stuff called STOP its a nail polish that is clear with cayanne pepper in it. unfortunatly my daughter liked the spicy and she is almost 8 and still sucks her thumb when she is tired. good lick.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Don't call attention to the thumb sucking. The more you call attention to it, the more the child will do it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I offered my kids a reward for every night they put a band-aid on their thumb/fingers (I have 2 of them). If they fell asleep with the bandage on, the next night they got the reward (which gave them incentive to do it again that night). It has worked for my 7 year old thumb sucker (I should say former thumb sucker). My 4 year old still puts her fingers in her mouth all the time (and her teeth are showing the damage). I won't push it with her until she starts losing her teeth, and then I will push harder the and she still does it. It took my son less than 3 weeks, so maybe it is just the ages.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2009