Why do mothers choose Formula-feeding over Breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I will never understand why a woman would CHOOSE formula over breastmilk. It makes no sense. The only nutrition a baby gets and some women think the decision should be primarily about them. I just don't understand it at all. Could you imagine if someone decided everything you ate without you able to say a word and what they picked (a) tasted horrible (b) did not give you the natural protections needed to develop well (c) made you downright sick and in discomfort after every forced feeding all just because the food you craved and truly needed was too much for them to do for you? As the sign at the church up the road says, "If there is something better, good is never enough!"

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I chose to Breastfeed, It was just natural to me, and i didn't have any problems doing so. Some of the mom's I know chose to formula feed, some because of diffculty breastfeeding, some because they just wanted to use formula. Sometimes, it could be for freedom. (hubby can get up and give baby a bottle while mom gets some much needed rest!!)
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Because they are brainwashed by the formula companies that they can not BF. And because their doctors get perks from the formula companies, so they are more likely to push a certain formula than breastmilk.
    Anonymous

• I chose to formula feed because my daughter just would not take my breast. Question answered? wonder why you posted anon?
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 1:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• culture (in our culture it's another option up there with breastfeeding whereas in other cultures it's not), lack of support (might think they aren't producing enough, or might have bad latch, problems like that that would be corrected if it was more acceptable in our culture and there was more support)

also working and having trouble pumping. my son was EBF/breast milk bottles for 6 mos, then we started supplementing with formula because pumping enough was extremely difficult for me. :)
    Anonymous

• R u kidding me !Y do ppl post this dumb ass question everyday ?
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• cases in point: because it makes me happy==culture

because baby would not take breast==lack of support

--anon 1:01
    Anonymous

• i always chose breastfeeding but it never lasted more than 3 months. with my first and my third i stopped because of my health. my teeth would hurt and my hair would start to fall out. with my second she dropped nearly a pound in her first 3 weeks. thats why i chose to go with formula.

i have a cousin that never breastfeeds. she dries out and uses formula from day one because she likes the freedom to ask someone else to feed the baby.
    Anonymous

• I personally do not want a baby totally attached to me only. Know one else can feed the baby. I do not mind pumping. But breast feeding no way. And the thought that I would never get a break from the baby is,,,no way. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Because they are lazy ass moms who think breast feeding is gross and sexual. there the ones wasting money every week on a new cam of formula lol idiots

Wow, you don't sound like a idiot at all. For your info I didn't think it was gross or sexual. Why would that ever cross your mind? That in itself is gross. No, I didn't waste money either if my daughter needs something it's not a waste. I'm sure you use cloth diapers also because you don't want to WASTE your money on diapers.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 1:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2009