Help - Need gift suggestions

Hi there all! My daughter is 6 1/2...She has two older brothers, 18 and 10. She is so not a 'girlie girl'. She has never liked baby dolls, Barbies (GASP!!!) or the like. Unfortunately, she really does not have much for interests other than following her brothers and grandmothers around. She loves drawing and coloring and has a lot of that sort of stuff, oh, and puzzles too. Boy, it would be SO easy to buy birthday and Christmas gifts for her if she were into the 'typical' sort of things other girls her age are. She does like stuffed animals, but she has a room FULL. Sure, I can get her clothes, new bedding and such, but I remember being a kid and that was definitely not much fun to open as a young child. PLEASE - anyone else have a daughter like this? ANY and all suggestions would be SO extremely appreciated. Oh, and she and her brothers have TONS of video games, too - not interested. We have run out of ideas.

edcmyangels

Asked by edcmyangels at 1:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• What aout DVD's or a child mp3 player sansa makes a good one. Computer games? sidewalk chalk, new skates? um. gold fish? That was a huge hit for my son was a gold fish!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Activitiies maybe? Karote, swimming, gymnastics, a year pass to the zoo, pool membership, something like that. It would be really cool if it was something she could take her brothers with her since she enjoys spending time with them so much.
    Anonymous

• Art supplies or crafts, maybe? My brother's oldest is not a girlie girl, either, but I could always buy her all the new, cool Crayola stuff and she loved it. You can get all sorts of great kids craft kits at places like Michaels or JoAnn. And you could go with activity stuff - jump rope, hula hoop, bike, roller skates, basketball hoop, etc. They also make some pretty cool digital cameras for kids. How about a kitten?
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• How about a kids digital camera? I got my first camera about that age and I loved it (and it was a cheapy 35mm). There are a couple of kids tough ones if she's hard on toys, and they also make some nice ones for older kids if she's more responsible.

Also might want to point out that I'm a photographer now, so the camera did me good at that age.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• OP here...You ladies are SO wonderful, which is why I love CafeMom! Thank you TONS for the ideas!!! Her grandparents (and dad, even) completely spoil her, hence the reason this has become such a dilemma - she has everything she might be interested in. Buying gifts for your young children is supposed to be so much fun. My two younger children live with their father, who lives with his parents (please feel free to read my journal post "My Journey" to get more of an understanding of this crappy situation, which I STRIVE daily to deal with...). The grandmother is allergic to the world, so pets are not an option. I also cannot try talking to them - the grandmother (love her very much!) is very sensitive, the grandfather cannot be talked to - as is his son (my ex, the kids' dad), it's their way or the highway, they have absolutely NO interest in what ANYone says, it's like we speak a different language...ARGHH!!!
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 2:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009