Help - Need gift suggestions

Hi there all! My daughter is 6 1/2...She has two older brothers, 18 and 10. She is so not a 'girlie girl'. She has never liked baby dolls, Barbies (GASP!!!) or the like. Unfortunately, she really does not have much for interests other than following her brothers and grandmothers around. She loves drawing and coloring and has a lot of that sort of stuff, oh, and puzzles too. Boy, it would be SO easy to buy birthday and Christmas gifts for her if she were into the 'typical' sort of things other girls her age are. She does like stuffed animals, but she has a room FULL. Sure, I can get her clothes, new bedding and such, but I remember being a kid and that was definitely not much fun to open as a young child. PLEASE - anyone else have a daughter like this? ANY and all suggestions would be SO extremely appreciated. Oh, and she and her brothers have TONS of video games, too - not interested. We have run out of ideas.

edcmyangels

Asked by edcmyangels at 1:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my dd is like that sometimes too...I bought her her own little art set and it was the best thing ever---had little pockets to put the pencils and a sketch pad...
    Anonymous

• there are all sorts of cameras for kids (durable and easy to use). she might like to be able to take pics while she's following her bro's around! (lol)
    there is also some cool editing software that is easy and fun, too. my dd is only 3 but she has a playschool digital arts and crafts studio that is super fun. you can load pics, doodle on them, put them in backgrounds, and do about a million other cool crafts. i bet they have something similar for a child your daughter's age.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 1:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• try some sort of power wheel, my 17month old has a power 4 wheeler. she is into cars,books and anything music. get her a portable dvd player.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• ps- if all else fails... almost all toy stores (walmart included) have those foam swords. my tom-boy loves 'em!!! cant go wrong with weapons! haha
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 1:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• books, art books, art activity books, art sets, craft sets, beadwork sets, beads and bead supplies, books, ceramics to paint, make a photo of the family into a puzzle (there are websites that can do this for you), books, markers (there are so many different kinds), puppets, puppet theatre, books... that's all I can think of for right now. pps had some great ideas too! I would suggest going to a craft store or a book store and just looking - there is tons of cool stuff out there, and usually I didn;t even know it existed until I saw it for sale lol!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Webkins? Movies? a bike? scooter?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• OP here...You ladies are SO wonderful, which is why I love CafeMom! Thank you TONS for the ideas!!! Her grandparents (and dad, even) completely spoil her, hence the reason this has become such a dilemma-she has everything she might be interested in, just about all of what you suggested! Buying gifts for your young children should be so much fun. My two younger children live with their father, who lives with his parents (please feel free to read my journal post "My Journey" to get more of an understanding of this crappy situation, which I STRIVE daily to deal with). The grandmother is allergic, so pets are not an option. I also cannot try talking to them - the grandmother (love her very much!) is very sensitive, the grandfather cannot be talked to-as is his son (my ex, the kids' dad), it's their way or the highway, they have absolutely NO interest in what ANYone says, it's like we speak a different language.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 2:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Take her to a toy store and have her make a list of things she likes. Ask her to make you a list of what she would like, things of different prices. Have her pick out things in the sale ads of the newspaper.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• So if she's not a girly girl, you don't specifically say it but is she a tomboy? Maybe get her a skateboard or a scooter or inline skates if she doesn't have those things. Hotwheels cars and stuff. I was a tomboy and hated the girlie stuff and people were always getting me that crap. My two male cousins and brother would get cool stuff and I'd get stuck with something that I'd have to comb its hair and stuff.
    Anonymous

• Make her a fruit hat and say she's from Brazil
    Anonymous