25

I am 25. So to some, I may be considered a "young mom" but to me, its exactly what I wanted. I am in a happy committed relationship, all that..
ANYWAYS. I try to go to mom groups and lactation classes just to get out of the house and I feel that the other moms judge me by my age. I cant seem to find other moms that I fit in with. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't think 25 is young...I'm 27 and about to give birth to #2. I have noticed that a lot of other moms are older than me, but haven't really had any issues getting along with them. I think women and mom's in general are overly judgmental...regardless of age. Everyone thinks their way or their kid is the best and judges everyone else because of it. Its too bad really. Hope you find a group that works for you.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I just ignore it. I am 22 and pregnant with my third. Yea its young but I like it. I'll still be able to run and enjoy and keep up with my kids. I plan on having a fourth before I hit 25 then I'm done. You know what if you can handle it and support them then it is nobody else business
    Anonymous

• 25 is not so young. I was 18 going to classes i got some looks. Do you have a wedding ring on? I know plenty of women who look for that. it might be the lack of ring. My sister took my set when she was preggo so she could fit in. She said they looked at her weird she started to wear the ring and she was fine. I think it shouldnt matter but some people are butts.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 2:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• In a lot of ways, I don't get this problem. I'm 23 and pregnant with my second...there is nothing wrong with waiting until you're older to have kids, but I think the fact that most women are most fertile in their twenties sort of tells us that that's the age we're most equipped to handle having babies. No, I'm not saying women in their thirties or even forties can't handle it blah blah blah... but I think I'll like it better having grandkids in my forties and fifties while I'm still young enough to get down and play with them. For instance, my mom is 47 and can romp with my daughter more entergetically than I can. My husband's mom is 69...and is very involved with her grandkids, but she can't exactly particpate in the same way. Again, not good or bad...just preference. I think a good mom isn't based on age...but how much you are willing to give of yourself. If you are 20 and have a baby and still wanna party...that's different
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• ...if you are 20 and settled down with a job and a SO and are a responsible parent, then why is that an issue? Sorry so long...I just get the feeling that other older mom's look at me weird too sometimes!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I know what you mean on the ring thing! (Sorry, I'm posting again!) But sometimes I don't wear mine for a few days because somehow like moisture or something gets beneath the rings, and it gets itchy and red if I don't take them off and "air it out" for a day or two. (Yes, They are real...I get this on my arms too...). And when I go out with my daughter and husband (who just hates wearing his because it doesn't really fit and we keep forgetting to have it resized)...I can feel the old ladies looking at us scornfully. It's probably in my imagination, but now that somebody else said that...maybe not!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• How old are the other moms? I don't think you're that young; I was 22 when my oldest was born. I would maybe try the park; the moms there might be younger, or at least more active with their kids and therefore have a younger mindset and not judge you based on age or how old you look. Or you could check out meetup.com and see if there's any mom groups in your area that maybe you can find some moms you have stuff in common with.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• To *me* you're young...I'm old enough to be your mom!

But...ignore the judging. That's ALL you CAN do. Who cares what they think? Really? Is that going to miraculously age you?

Don't worry about what others think of you unless their judgment actually MEANS something. (Like a trial jury. Or a hiring manager. Or the electorate if you're running for office.)

Answer by gdiamante at 2:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I'm on the other end of things; I'm 34. I feel like an old lady in the bunch, because most of the women in my classes are your age!

I just ignore it most of the time, and instead enjoy the fact that I'm able to be there and share what's going on with other women going through the same things. I have noticed that I'm way more tired and achy than the other ladies, but that's what I get for waiting ;)
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 2:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Do you look younger than you are? I had my first at 24 and while I was pregnant, I had a woman think I was 12 and pregnant!

I had my youngest at 25. I was older than a LOT of other pregnant women. Then again we were on an Army post and there are a lot of younger mothers.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2009