What should I do about my 8 year old daughter who is boy crazy?

My 8 1/2 year old daughter has always been smitten with boys but just recently she talks about an older boy (who is 10) non stop. She says she is "in love" and when I ask her what that means she tells me that she is going to marry him and wants to go on a date with him. I have shared my feelings telling her that she is too young to date but she can be friends with him but it doesn't stop her from sharing ALL the time how much she adores him. Any advise or direction anyone can point me in will greatly be appreciated. I want her to always feel that she can talk to me but I am also concerned that she is getting too serious at such a young age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• smile and keep on being the good mama with good advice. :) sounds pretty innocent to me!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 2:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Where is she getting the ideas about being in love and all the rest? I have a 9-year old granddaughter and she is all into dolls and video games. I think your daughter is being around someone who is talking this stuff with her or she is watching too much tv. Children that age don't really think about such things unless they are being exposed to it somewhere. Take away the influence and remind her that she is a little girl and that she won't be ready to think about marriage and dating for several years.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Do they see each other outside of school? If not I would not be too concerned my kids started "going with" somebody about 3/4 grade. When I asked what going with -------- meant they would reply we play games at recess and he is my partner. They would call each other and giggle for 2 mins and that was the extent of it. I think it is more just talk than anything else. It would normally last a week and then same thing all over again with diff boy.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• ignore it. the boy probably doesn't have a clue. If you put too much focus on it she will continue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• At that age it's all puppy love when/if they have eyes for someone. And like a PP said the boy probably doesn't have a clue. Lots of little girls get crushes starting at that age, be it a boy at school or a someone on tv. It usually doesn't last too long though and they are on to the next crush. Good Luck...
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I think you should just let her tell you and sort of not make a big deal about it when she does. Don't you remember being that age and having a crush on a boy? It is sort of innocent how she is so open with you about it. As long as she is acting in an age-appropriate manner and not being sexual about it, I wouldn't worry too much. Dont' take it too seriously...but use it as an opportunity to talk to her about what she likes about him and things like that.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2009