Has anyone else gone through this ..

I am 32 weeks pregnant and my baby only measures 30 [(inches?) - pubic bone to a few inches above my belly button] My baby has measured 30 when I went in for my last two appts. [My appts. are every 2 weeks!] My doctor said if she is measuring the same in 2 weeks then id have to do an ulrasound to make sure nothing is wrong! :/

Has anyone else gone through this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No i havent :( i hope everything works out!!
    MyPrincesses421

Answer by MyPrincesses421 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Kind of - - I measured large for the first part of my pregnancy (both times) and then baby "stopped" growing. What she told me was that her measurements had no way of being exact, and ultrasounds were not reliable ways of measuring later in pregnancy either. I had the option of going in for ultrasounds if I was concerned that baby wasn't moving, just to check on them, but since both kids were super active, I called it good.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• A difference within 2 cm can be how you are measured (are they actually measuring the same starting point each time and are they measuring the top of your uterus or rounding over it a little). Is it the same person doing your measurements? My midwife and her 2 assistants could all measure 2 cm off because of how they felt the top of the uterus and one would measure on my pubic bone, while the others started above it.
    Your measurement can also vary with how the baby is laying.
    I wouldn't stress about it. From 36 weeks on, I measured 33 because she had dropped so low. My measurements didn't come back up at all before she was born, 6 days after her EDD weighing 8 lbs 6 oz. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I'm very much convinced that measurements done through ultrasound and manually are hardly worth anything. Mine said dd was like 6 lbs and 21 inches. They kept saying "Oh yeah, we're not talking about a large baby here"...and when she was born she was 9 lbs 8 oz and about two feet long. They don't know. If it's still moving normally and the heart rate is good and ur placenta is still attached...I wouldn't worry too much.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Oh yeah!! Thanks Erin for reminding me :) I said my babies both "stopped" growing according to the Dr's measurements - - both times I was told that baby would be 6-7 lbs max, and both babies arrived weighing in at over 9 lbs.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I did. Once the measurement lags behind by 4 cm, they will do an ultrasound and check the baby's size and the "grade" of your placenta. In my case, the lag was definite at 35 weeks and the ultrasound showed my son's growth had slowed way down. He was measuring 4 weeks behind and my placenta was graded a 2 (0 is perfect, 1 is not as good, etc). I had to start doing non stress tests 2 x a week to make sure my son was handling life in the womb okay, and had weekly ultrasounds to measure amniotic fluid. If the baby doesn't do well during the monitoring, or your fluid gets low, they would probably induce because the baby tends to do better outside the womb than inside in these cases. It is usually caused by the placenta deteriorating too soon and not working properly. My son was born 3 days before me due date at 5 lbs 4 oz but started doing much better after birth. Good luck!! It's called IUGR.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The only people who will agree that this is cause for concern are the ones who have had a real issue with it (meaning poor outcomes, fetal distress, etc). IUGR is a very real concern and should be treated as such. If you trust your doctor, then follow their lead on this one!

By the way, the nurse estimated my son to be 5 lbs 4 oz during my ultrasound and he was born weighing EXACTLY that a few hours later. He went downhill literally overnight, so that is why I say this is a cause for concern. I had a monitoring appt Weds and he was doing fine. Went back on Thursday and he was non reactive and after the whole day of monitoring I had a c section. Glad I didn't wait any longer, and VERY glad I trusted my doctor and not the advice of everyone who said "oh don't worry measurements aren't accurate".
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• mnt_2_b_mommy - yes, IUGR is very real, but it is also misdiagnosed. I am sorry for your baby having troubles and I hope he is good now.

2 cm difference in measurement rarely mean IUGR. OP, here is a site with some info: http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/UVAHealth/peds_hrpregnant/iugr.cfm

reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2009