how much formula or pumped BM should a 2 week old baby have in one feeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my daughter was 2 wks she was taking two oz (formula) every 2 hours or sooner.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my dd was eating 3oz
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• When I was pumping, 2 oz. If the baby is exclusively bottle fed, they would eat more, because bottles stretch their stomach faster. So, keep that in mind. If the baby is normally nursed, err on the smaller more frequent feedings.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• 2-4 ounces.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Y aren't u nursing ur baby directly? Don't u know that's the best thing for babies?
    Anonymous

• Y aren't u nursing ur baby directly? Don't u know that's the best thing for babies? MAYBE HER BABY DOESNT LATCH, OR HAS OTHER ISSUES. I BEEN PUMPING FOR 8 MTS NOW.

OP MY SON TOOK ABOUT 3 OZ. I DONT KNOW YOUR SITUATION BUT I RECOMMNED YOU CONTACT AND LC TO HELP YOU OUT. ALSO TRY AVOIDING FORMULA IT WILL BRING DOWN YOUR MILK SUPPLY
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• What the hell, anon. She's giving breastmilk, and that isn't good enough for you? Shut your trap! I swear...why in the hell do some people think they are the authority on everyone else's life?

OP...mine were taking just over 4oz of formula per feeding....roughly every 2-3 hours. But they were food hogs. It's feed on demand, so just keep at it until you figure out how much the baby needs.

Um...and a bottle has no bearing on the size of a baby's stomach.
    Anonymous

• also depends on how big baby is my six year old was nine and half pounds at birth and it takes more calories to maintain that then it does one that is six and half pounds (like my two youngest)
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 2:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Mine was taking in 3-4 oz. Just feed on demand whenever hungry! =)
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Formula, 2 oz normally, sometimes 3 oz..

Breastmilk, a NB eats about 1/2 oz per hour and then after a few weeks they tend to eat more, like 1 oz to 1.5 oz per hour..

If you exclusively pump it might be on the 1.5 oz side of BM because it is true that bottle-feeding stretches tummies and delivers more milk faster to them so they tend to eat a tad more than they normally would. Plus the balance of fat may not be the same off the tap as in a bottle, another reason why they may eat more BM in a bottle.

If you are feeding a breast-fed baby formula, not sure why, but err on the very very tiny side.. it'll sit like a bag of rocks in a breast-fed babies tummy and may make them a bit sick..
    Anonymous