when do they understand no

When does a baby start to understand what no means? My son is 7 and a half months. And he constantly pulls the trash over in his walker, and tears up magazines. LOL. I have said no no and take them away but hes not getting it. Is it too early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it is. He's not going to understand that for quite a while. So continue to redirect.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I've got a 3 year old that still doesn't understand it eithe...lol. At 7 months he's just learning. Just keep saying it. He'll come around. I think my son just ignores me...lol
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• He understands now what "no" means. He is ignoring you and he will continue to ignore you unless and until you use a little reinforcement to make him feel the consequences of ignoring your "no". We gently slapped our children's little hands when they started crawling and getting into things they shouldn't. You don't hurt them. You just smack their hands hard enough for them to feel it. You are teaching them far more than you realize. You are teaching them to obey and respect you as a parent. This is very important. When you start with them when they first begin to exert their own wills, you will find the "terrible twos" practically non-existent. There will still be tests but to a much lesser degree than if you want until they have done as they please for their whole lives. I have a 16-month old grandson who has been taught this way, and while he occasionally will test, it is very seldom and he is a sweet child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my son is also 7 months and no is like latin, french, japanese...no understand, so just keep saying it
    Anonymous

• by the time a baby is a year old in American society, they are numb to the word "no" having heard it thousands of times....a swift, guteral "Ah-ah!" is more apt to nab their attention and stop a baby in her tracks...then redirect or distract. But save the "no" for the big things like uncovered electrical sockets and running for the street. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.
    lalafreduu

Answer by lalafreduu at 2:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It's too early for him to understand, but it's not too early for you to start discipline! By the time he's a year old he should easily understand what it means.
    Anonymous

• The may understand it, but they don't have the self decipline yet to apply it and remember it. Then, sometime between one and two... they do remember it and understand it...but they don't care. LOL. My dd is 2 and she will do things she knows is wrong and the whole time she chirps "no, no no!"...so yeah...it'll be awhile. Just keep doing what ur doing!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You'd be surprised just how young they do understand. He may not understand the word, but he knows tone of voice. If you say "no no" but it's not in the right tone of voice, he will ignore it or think you are playing.
    Anonymous

• I disagree completely that there is a certain age that children understand the word "No". For that matter when they understand anything at all. My son is a year old and has known the word "No" since I had to start using it. Children push their bounderies to see what they can get away with and to see how long it takes for you to react to them. They may not listen to the word and continue to do what they're doing, but that doesn't mean they don't understand. People greatly underestimate infants and children and what they can understand. Like another poster said .. They may find that you're playing a game with them if you're saying it in a light manner. If the child doesn't feel that you are being firm with your reaction then they won't react in the manner you're asking of them. It may even be time to start time-outs or another form of punishment for their actions, if they're ignoring just the words themselves.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• TIME-OUT for a.. 7 month old... Hitting, a 7 -- MONTH -- old.. Are you... serious?

By the time you get the baby -in the time out- they'll have totally forgotten what they did!! And hitting a baby is never a way to discipline them. The only thing I -might- agree with is the sharp "AHA!" sound to distract the baby.

You people are...... I won't even say it.

I just block the trash-can with a big heavy metal thing. If you can't do that, put the trash can on a paper towel on top of the table. I also put magazines or anything else I do not want him to destroy, eat, or get into out of my son's reach or locked with a baby lock in a cupboard. If I didn't I'd be chasing him around hitting him or yelling =p

There, the end of the issue.

They understand - no - according to research - when they are about 10 months old. They start applying said knowledge of the word no when they are about a year old.
    Anonymous