Cry it out, baby!

For moms of babies, around the age of 6 months...
Do you let your babies cry? And if so, for how long? If I know my DD is just mad and not in distress or hungry or something, I let her cry from time to time. You know, so I can get dressed or shower, or finish bathing my SD. I'm not uncomfortable with this, but my mother was just here, visiting, and seemed to really frown upon it. I was just wondering how you other mamas feel. Curiosity. :)

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 2:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont let my baby cry in the crib while i'm watching tv but while your using the bathroom or showering is normal. As long as all your babies needs are met then it's ok. If you jump in the shower and make your baby wait for a bottle and that's why she's crying then that's kinda wrong. Mom's should know what is ok and what is not. I used to pull my son in the shower with me in his chair and he'd still cry! Cant always make them happy but as long as needs are met. Jump in the shower :)
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 2:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my son is 5 and a half months old, and my mom NEVER lets him cry. she thinks its horrible and that i should carry him 24/7 if thats what i need to do to make him not cry. i on the other hand will let him cry every once in a while if i know hes just crying because hes tired or not because he really needs something. my mom makes me feel guilty about it, but IMO babys cry! thats what they do! and sometimes i need to get things done. im a full time college student, i have a house to take care of, & god forbid i want to eat shit or shower. i will always be there for my baby, but i really feel like hes getting to the age where hes realizing that if he crys someone will pick him up, and i think he def crys when hes tired. so yeah... im in the same boat as u.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• What does the woman in your mirror think of it? Because she's the one you have to deal with all your life.

Mine was hot and cold on the issue. There were times when she told me to stop dawdling and get to the baby. And other times when she said, "He can wait 30 seconds while you brush your teeth."

But hers is the only voice that steers me.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• :) oh, i know its ok to let her fuss for a minute. i was just wondering what the general opinion was.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 2:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I personally would let her cry for a lil bit IF all her needs were met, I'd given her gas drops, and she was just cranky and falling asleep. Usually, she'd fuss and go to sleep on her own, and honestly it made life a lot easier because pretty soon the crying stopped and she'd just whimper two seconds and doze off without needing rocking or anything. If she was hungry or had a poop or something, I go right to her...but, and especially now that she's older, if she's just being pissed because she wants something she shouldn't have and doesn't wanna sleep...then she can throw a fit for ten minutes and then get over it and sleep. I think just use ur best judgement...mom's know when their babies REALLY need them, and when it's okay.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I agree with you. You have to take care of yourself. So sometimes you have to let baby cry. It's not a big deal. If my step mom watched my daughter, she never would have learned to crawl becuase she held my dd all the time and never let her cry! So sometimes, it's beneficial for the child too.
    Anonymous

• Cry to sleep no, but if I had to go to the bathroom and they fussed while I sat them down to do it then so be it. I actually carried both mine in slings the majority of the time so they were not down often and they still fussed occasionally while in the sling because I was doing something they didn't like. Yes my kids crawled even with being in the sling most the day until about 12 months or longer. To me fussing and crying are two completely separate things though and mine never cried without being tended to, they did fuss often though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Fussing for a little bit is fine.. especially while you get dressed or something.. but if you're spending 20 minutes with your baby getting more and more angry at you while you dote on yourself -- no that is not okay with me (you asked).

I brush my teeth with my son in my arms. I also do a lot of things with him in a carrier on my back or my front.. If you have a lot of things to do around the house, giving your other baby a bath is a prime example to me, why don't you get a carrier?? It's been proven that infant brain development is hastened by being held near constantly.

Your mom probably sees something. Maybe you are managing your time badly - maybe there are things you could do while baby naps that you aren't. Maybe you take just one minute too long and she hears a change in his cry ..

I don't know, but, I do know the only reason you'd ask us this is if you weren't 100% sure of yourself.
    Anonymous