Can constipation cause a fever?

My son has been home from school for 2 days with a fever. He did his first poop today since being constipated for 3 days! He's gone 4 times already. Not diarrhea. But has had a fever between 102-103. Finally the fever broke today. No other symptoms at all, only fever and constipation...or should I say he's not constipated amymore. Can constipation cause a fever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Health

• I know it sounds odd, and I wondered the same thing awhile back. My DD was sick already, but after being on meds for a couple of days her temp was still high and she was constipated. Once she pooped her fever broke. (she had pneumonia, fwiw). I never would other wise thing there was a real connection, and still don't, but the same thing happened here!
    Anonymous

• I doubt it. If he had a virus , it can cause a fever and dehydration....not enough liquid causes dehydration, fever and then constipation. Be sure to give him plenty of liquid every day and more if he has a fever. Constipation occurs when kids don't get enough liquid or fiber in their diet. My kids were rarely constipated ...unless they had a fever for a long time. The constipation is not the cause, it is the result of a fever and lack of liquid.
    Anonymous