No drama here! How did you prepare for breastfeeding?

As I'm reading the previous posts and the comments about the sore nipples and bleeding and not producing milk.

Is there something a mom can do to avoid all of the above problems before the baby arrives?

Please don't start drama. It's not good for the babies. LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• k. only a very small munber of woman dont produce milk, like tINY, bleeding nipples, the latch is wrongor and infection
    READ READ READ!! THE WOMANLY ART TO BREASTFEEDING BY LA LECHE LEAGUE
    ANDTHATS WHAT THEY ARE FOR, CLASSES, DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS CONTACT LA LECHE LEAGUE OR A LACTATION CONSULTANT. milk doesnt arrive most times till 3-5 days after the baby is born. for the first few days the baby gets colostrum and its full of antibodies and other good stuff!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You do not need to do anything to prepare your breasts for nursing. Have lansinoh on hand for after the baby is born, and a lactation consultant on hand to help you latch. The lansinoh should be applied after each nursing session to help prevent cracking. As for not producing enough milk, often times moms are producing enough but have stopped feeling "full" so they get worried - - check with a lactation consultant and you will probably find that you are doing just fine :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Do what you can to stay hydrated, well-fed, rested.

Go for as natural a birth as possible.

Keep baby with you at birth, no bottles or pacifiers.

Plan to have help at home so that you don't need to do anything but Babymoon.

Stay in bed for 2 weeks breastfeeding.

Let others handle life for you.

Stay committed, know that keeping with it can be tricky but worth it!

Start attending La Leche League meetings now and continue after the birth for information and support.

You can read The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding now, too.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Get in touch w/ an LC (lactation consultant) and/or LLL group for support and tips. Also there are these things I think called "soothies" that are like a gel sticker thing you put on your nipples that you can reuse for a day or 2 that are AMAZING! I've only found the originals of these online, aside from what my LC gave me in the hospital. And just prepare yourself for uncomfort in the beginning (whether you do BF or not! from engorgement)
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 3:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Doulala has some good advice, but I would like to clarify that if you do not do all these things, it is ok. With #2 I had a c-section, I gave both my kids pacifiers from birth, and I was FAR from staying in bed for 2 weeks (or any weeks, really, after leaving the hospital). None of these things affected my breastfeeding - As long as you have a good support system (lactation consultant on speed dial, la leche league meetings on your calendar, etc) you will be fine :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• colostrum?

You are not going to believe this. But this is the first time that I heard of this. Thank you so much.
    Anonymous

• If you feel very engorged and in a lot of pain, don't be afraid to pump a little before you nurse. If your breast are over-full and very hard it can be quite painful. That's what kept me going!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• LEARN. That's really ALL you can do.

And for every mom who reports bleeding nipples, there are a dozen who have NO issues at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You are not going to believe this. But this is the first time that I heard of this. Thank you so much.

lol is k, it also call liquid gold. is the best!! even if a mom doenst plan onf bf but she does decided to nurse for the first few days isalready a good start for the baby. i ahd a relaly ahrd time bf,. but i express my colustrum onto a spoon with both my kids. i wanted to make sure they bnoth got all the colostrum i was making!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2009