what to do when you loose someone close?

We just lost my father in law to brain cancer on October 11. My son and him was really close, he's 6. He knows where his papa went and knows and understands everthing like that. But he doesn't wanna go to his nana's house bc it makes him sad. Well we live with her know. He says that it makes him sad witch i truely understand. He also says that he wants to be stronge for the rest of us. Witch he doesn't need to be. I don't know what to do to help him. Got any ides anything will be greatful. Thanks in advance.

momma020709

Asked by momma020709 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

•  I have no clue.Other then to be there for him and to let him go threw the long grieving prosess.Maybe you van buy him a jernoul to write his feelings in.That way he can get everythign out that is on his mind.I just lost my best friend's father yesterday to cancer.I took it hard and my son couldn't understand why I was crying.It upset him to find out that he had passed on too.The only thing that I could think of was to tell him that he went to heaven and that he wasn't "sick" anymore.That all the cancer was gone now.That he is in his heart and in my heart now.I din't know what else to say to my seven year old other then that.My son knew him since the day that I found out that I was pg.So I know that he's going to get upset from time to time.He asked me this morning how many grandpa's that he has left now.So I told him.I don't know if I'm much help,but there is what I did.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009