Advice on breastfeeding...a little worried about doing it again!

I breastfed DD exclusively for the first 6-8 weeks, and felt insantely awful when I stopped. But... I would nurse every couple of hours and she would actively suck for 45 minutes and up. Then, 45 minutes later she was SCREAMING, and I know it was because she was hungry because I'd put her back to the breast and she would suck vigorously like she hadn't eaten in hours. She was latched correctly because I checked with a lactation consultant. At her six week checkup, she was not even back up to birth weight and was still crying all the time. I thought I just had a fussy baby, but within that period I gave her formula ONCE in a dropper, and she was so quiet and alert and happy...it was like a miracle. I continued nursing, combined with pumping with a top grade pump for extra stimulation...and that nasty Mother's Milk tea. She was still skinny, so I finally caved and switched to the bottle. How can avoid this with my new baby?

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• maybe thistime you should take herbs to increase your milk. mothers milk tea is good. fernugreek, eat oatmeal(real) drink lots of fluid. ormaybe you need to pull out the big guns REGLAN is by prescription only. maybe pumping sessions too
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Was she your first baby?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It's OK to supplement every other feeding with formula. My kids went back and forth from bottle to breast with no problems. But also, just because you had problems last time, it doesn't mean you will have them again - good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You need to know that EVERYTHING you reported was NORMAL. We bond with newborns because if we didn't we'd eat 'em or toss them out the window!

Fussy is NORMAL and indicates nothing at all. The dipe count is all that mattters.

For next time: expect baby to be on you ALL the time. ALL the time, for the first month or so. Toss your clocks., get a sling. Expect ten percent loss of birth weight, and a gain of 4-6 ounces per week from there. So it could take a month or more to hit that birth weight again.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Was your daughter having enough (6-8) wet diapers each day? Have a lactation consultant weigh your baby before and after a feeding to see how much milk they are getting from you. Keep in mind that the more you supplement, the more you need to supplement because your body adjusts how much milk you produce according to how much baby is eating. Nurse on demand and the supply issues *should* fix themselves - if not, fenugreek, brewers yeast, and oatmeal can all help.
    Good luck!!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• She was my first baby...and the only advice I got was "don't feed her so often cuz she'll eat longer and get fuller if you make her wait" so I tried that at around the 6 week mark. I pumped all the friggin time and NEVER once got more than one and a half ounces from both sides combined. I was never engorged. My boobs hardly felt heavier. I read somewhere that if they don't get sore and grow at all during pregnancy, you may have something wrong like not as many milk ducts. Mine didn't grow AT ALL during my first pregnancy and they haven't so far in this one. Is that true? I tried the tea, drinking more water, pumping. It was SOOO miserable...and I dread doing it again, but I want to give this baby my own milk for the antibodies. Especially with swine flu going around. But I am just really worried about putting myself through that again. PS. After I switched, I still gave her whatever I could pump for a few more months.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Some days she'd have 6 or so wet diapers, sometimes much less than that. It's sometimes hard to tell since the diapers can hold so much pee, you might not catch it until they've done it two times. But I wanna say based on my two year old memory that some days she did not wet very much at all...other days it seemed better.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Oh, and I know "fussy" is normal...but she was a very easy going baby after the switch, so that is why I'm convinced she was hungry. She'd still cry...but for the most part, she didn't scream constantly all day every day and night anymore... she would eat and poop and then be happy for an hour or so.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2009