Help me figure out my holiday meal!!!

Heres the deal. We are going on vacation for nine days before Christmas and return home around 9pm Christmas Eve. Well we can't really buy food before we leave because it will be spoiled by Christmas and when we get home no stores will be open.... Any ideas on what I could make out of frozen foods or canned foods that won't taste disgusting and won't take a ton of time? ANY ideas are welcome. We'll need it all from turkey or chicken, to casseroles, side dishes, desserts....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Holidays

• I love monkey bread for Christmas morning. Im sure you can google the recipe.. but it takes sugar and canned biscuits so it may be an option.

You could make a big pot of chili for lunch..ground beef could be frozen and thawed easily. After a long trip like that i wouldnt want to cook a huge meal of turkey.

Chicken and noodles or dumplings would be good as well. Pie crusts (the roll kind) can be frozen and you could use canned apple or cherry filling. Frozen corn is always a good side.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Instead of a whole turkey, you could do just a turkey breast. Green bean casserole is always cupboard friendly, same with cranberry sauce. You can get a frozen pie also.
    Hope I helped a little
    team_stewart

Answer by team_stewart at 7:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Buy turkey breast. Freeze it. That night when you get home, put it in the fridge. That morning when you get up, put it in a large bowl in the sink. fill the bowl with water and let the turkey thaw in water (NEVER on the counter not in water). Change the water every 30 minutes til the turkey is thawed. Bake according to directions. Canned sweet potatoes make a decent sweet potato casserole too. Just mash them up with some butter, cream, allspice, cinnamon and put in a baking dish. top with marshmallows, and bake at 350 til the marshmallows are melted and lightly browned. Like the PP said, green bean casserole, canned cranberry sauce (or buy frozen cranberries and make homemade), if you want a homemade pie you can buy frozen berries and frozen pie crust then just thaw the berries that morning too. For pumpkin pie you could buy frozen pie crust and canned pumpkin. Rolls freeze well too, just thaw the night before.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Easy do your sides ahead of time, and freeze in aluminum containers. Make green bean cassarole, add the fried onions, make sure you have an extra can to sprinkle on top. Sweet potato cassarole freezes well, just make sure you have the marshmellows to put on top when you bake it. There are recipes out there where you make the mashed potatos ahead of time, I do believe you add cream cheese and freeze. Get turkey necks and make your broth ahead of time for gravey.Make your corn cassarole ahead of time and thaw. Last year I made all these cassaroles ahead of time. Make your dressing ahead of time and freeze. I said aluminum containers, but I have time to thaw. Put yours in gladware baking containers and freeze so if they are not thawed out you can thaw them out in microwave under defrost. Buy a pre baked turkey at the grocery store at thanksgiving - you know the ones from the deli that comes with your dinner, give to neighbor and
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• ask neighbor, or friend to put in fridge and thaw it for you.good luckl
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009