How can you get your baby off the bottle when your partner isn't helping?

My daughter was 11 months old when she left the bottle, and my son turned one in October and I'm having trouble with him. I bought him different kinds of sippy cups and he will only take it if it has juice in it. I try giving him milk in it but he will cry and ball his head off untill his dady gives him the bottle. I think he is listing to his mom cause she says that he didnt leave the bottle untill he was 4! Ya 4, but I tell him that its my baby and he is no different from my daughter. Does any body have any suggestions on hew to deal with this or does he need more time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take all of his bottles and THROW them away! Thats what I had to do, and it worked.. tough at first, but it does work!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• tell him look you were 4 when you left the bottle!! 4 thats just wrong. throw all the bottles out. i got my dd off the bottle cold turkey. and if his mom says anything just tell her thanks for teh adviced but i dotn wnat my kid having a bottle forever
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I agree just throw all of the bottles away! Thats the only way he is going to learn if your partner is goign to give in like that.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• yup, throw those bottles OUT! If you have to take them to a park dumpster cuz dad will dig 'em out (gross!) do that. The kid won't starve himself! He will take the sippy cup eventually. We just packed up my son's bottles one day and by afternoon he wanted his milk so bad (he's practically a milk a holic, and his limit is 3 cups a day, unless he is sick we'll give him some formula b/c he doesnt eat much) But it makes life SOOOOOOOOO much easier, not toting around bottles and stuff. A sippy cup with powdered formula if we are going to be out too long (son is lactose intolerant so we can't just give him ANY kind of milk).
    WHY would anyone keep their kid on the bottle that long? Wow... i think thats more laziness than anything!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I would just take them and throw them away. I took my daughter off the bottle 2 weeks before her birthday just stop giving it to her but she didnt mind the formula in a sippy cup though but if u throw them all away he cant make a bottle and he want go thirsty or hungry.
    Anonymous

• I tell him that its my baby and he is no different from my daughter.-OP

All kids are different. Is he the father of your son but not your daughter? That may make a difference TO HIM. Ya'll need to talk this out. The baby will sense this stress between you two, HE will stress, and he will want to cope WITH his bottle. If SO goes and gets more bottles, then what? If the baby screams and it stresses you ALL, then what? Get a game plan. There are 2 parents, you are ONE of them.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Throw the bottles out then he can't use one. If you only offer milk in the sippy, no juice or water at all, he will drink the milk when he gets thristy. He can drink from a sippy, there is no reason for a bottle at all...
    Anonymous

• I agree his mother was lazy! No child should b on a bottle at 4! I also think that throwing the bottles out is a good idea! But a little tip: Look up the farmers almanac online and see when the moon is in the knees....i know sounds crazy but trust me.......the day that it is take the bottles out of the house and only offer the sippy....he'll never ask for his bottle!! Sounds out there I know but it works...both my dds were bottle broke that way! And my son will be too!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 5:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I agree is 4 is extreme at taking a bottle. But if your little one just turned 1 if he still wants a bottle with milk then it is fine. I think its fine. My little one is 15 mths old and she still takes one at nightbefore bed and maybe 1 duing the dday but latley she hasn't been. Just at night. 11 mths is still a baby. Just b/c they turn 1 doesnt 'mean oh just throw them all away! they have to wein off them. that is all they have known. make sure to give him the sippy of water but keep trying milk in it bu tuntill then don't stress about it. Why the rush?? You suck on a bottle right? well you suck on a sippy cup too. No difference in my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Nov. 6, 2009