How can I clean the cushions on my couch and avoid rings or wear on them?

I own this sofa

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=390517

Every time there are small stains I usually spot clean and blot out the moisture. However, my 3 year old DD had an "accident" while napping on the couch and this time, I use some Resolve spray that's meant for furniture and carpet stains but I can't get the smell of poop out.

I think it's ridiculous that the covers of the cushions are removable and yet I can't throw them in the washing machine.

What would you all suggest aside from Febreeze? Thanks

MomOfThree0607

Asked by MomOfThree0607 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• In case the smell made its way into the cushion itself, you can remove the cover and treat the foam cushion inside by washing or spraying with Lysol. Removing the cushion cover will also allow you to more thoroughly treat the fabric by washing the affected area in the sink. Wring it out and dry it VERY QUICKLY--put a fan or something on it so it will dry fast to avoid water ringing. The problem w/ washing it in the machine is that it may not be colorfast. Have you noticed any of the color coming off on your towel when you wet wipe it? If so, be careful doing anything with it or you may end up with it being slightly lighter than the rest of the sofa. But that might be better than it smelling like doody anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Thanks, I've noticed some color come out when i wipe it, so i just might have to remove the cushion, clean that spot, blot the excess moisture, and set it in front of my fan.
    MomOfThree0607

Answer by MomOfThree0607 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2009