Greedy

It just seems that in this economy, more families would be frugal and teach their kids the real meaning of the holidays (giving thanks, helping others, etc). I even over heard a conversation in my Sunday school class (4-5 year olds) that went like this:
girl: my parents said I can only ask for 4 things this Christmas.
boy: you are only getting 4 things!!!!
My daughter is in the same Sunday school class. She didn't say a thing. I'm only getting her one thing for Christmas (Snow White movie) and a stocking. And then we are volunteering in a food drive next week and feeding the homeless at the shelter when it gets closer to Christmas. I would rather save the money so that she has fun things to do throughout the year.
One of my coworkers told me she is buying her 8 year old son a dirtbike, an Iphone and a webcam for Christmas!!! Seriously!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Holidays

• So?
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 3:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I don't think it is so much greed than it is the need to give to thier children and make their holiday as special as possible even in these harder times with money.
    We are not rich, but we will be getting our 8 yr old a DS, a new bike and ps2 games...
    He also knows the meaning of helping and giving to others who may not have as much ...
    Every family is different....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I agree about the menaing of the holiday. My dd works for her money and buys for herself all year. She is not spoiled and gets nothing extra when we go to the store unless she has earned the money. That being said Christmas is the day where she gets gifts and is surprised. I love Christmas and while i dotn want to take away the meaning i love giving her stuff and filling the living room...so this year Ibought her a 4wheeler and Im buying her other gifts to go with it. I know that sounds spoiled but I always make her wait til Christmas for big gifts and we do activities all year long so I guess I dont have a problem with it...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Seriously- are you calling 4 yr olds greedy cause they want toys at Christmas?!
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 6:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I don't give my kids a chance to voice what they want. We can't afford much, so we buy what we buy, and we give ideas of things they need (and things they want, I'm not a total bitch) to those who ask - grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc. I refuse to let them be greedy.
    Anonymous

• So, what is the question?
    Anonymous

• I buy my kids a few things off thier wish list every year, so does their grandma, but we also teach them about the TRUE meaning of Christmas. We go to the candlelight service on Christmas eve, we read the Christmas story in the Bible, we donate toys to needy, we do lots of fun things together as a family. We handmake almost all of our Christmas ornaments for the tree, I think the gifts just add a little something extra to their holiday memories.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I'm buying my son a Gibson SG, any thoughts?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:07 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I bought my 2 oldest a DSi and beleiove me you cna tell from my screen name my kids know the true meaning.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• What does it matter who is giving what? I'm cutting the Yule/Christmas budget down to just $500 a piece this year... My DH is NOT happy. But he was laid off and all we have is my income! So, you do what you have to! I don't really see what it matters what others are doing! Do what you can and what you want and ignore the rest! It's not greed, it's simply a different opinion. Personally I don't think you should be making a special trip to the shelter for Christmas - It should be done all the time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2009