When you drop your child off somewhere and they are happy to see you go, does it make you feel good or sad?

When my middle child was 9 months old I went back to work. My boys went to my inlaws' house 3 days a week and daycare (where I worked) 2 days a week. Whenever I dropped them off at my inlaws my youngest son would cry and cry. I would feel bad for going to work and also feel bad for my mil who had to deal with it and it made her feel like he didn't like her. Baby #3 came along in August and I quit work (only a year after I started). Now sometimes, like today, my mil will take the boys just to have them and see them. So, I dropped them off today, I am walking out the door and my youngest son goes, "bye mommy" and pretty much shuts the door on me. It makes me glad that he loves going to his grandparent's house now, but it makes me sad that he isn't my little mommy's boy anymore either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Be thankful that feel secure enough not to cry. They know you're coming back and are going to have fun in the mean time. You must be doing something right, so don't feel bad.. Although I do know how you feel, ours are the same way!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• that they* oops
    MrsLeftlane

• I drop my kids off every day - I work full time. I feel so good that they love to go to daycare. It is such a great feeling that I know they are happy where they are. Otherwise, I don't know how I would do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• it made me thrilled when they did that, means I did something right and I knew they were going to have fun
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Well, I wouldn't say that they are "happy to see you go" . . . just that they are happy to see grandma.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• When my daughter was in the baby room at the day care, she used to jump to the teacher! She still loves going, but now she runs to the food and woofs down breakfast! :) It was great to know she loved going and that they must be treating her well. But I did feel bad that she didn't even look to see me go. But once I picked her up, she was ready to come back to me.
    Anonymous

• I used to feel sad when DS was younger but now I love the reception I get from him when I come back and he comes running up to me with a big smile and arms wide! One night he ran up to me and grabbed my face and planted about ten big kisses on my while everyone laughed. He never did that for anyone else. I felt so special....
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Well if I drop them somewhere that I have no choice but to take them I am overjoyed if they are happy. I once took my son to a new sitter and he said "I cried all day for you" that was the last time I took him there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2009