Is there any truth to what people say about being super fertile right after giving birth (in the first few weeks or so)?

Is there any research or science to support this idea? Any links or articles about it online that you know of?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my doctor told me. and my friedn never waitied the 6 wks. she had sex one week after deliver and she got preggo. she msicarried at 3 mts. then when she had her second child same thing happen. she ended up miscarring again
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• No. You are not super fertile right after childbirth. Doctors say that to get you back in their office to get on birth control, not because it's true. You CAN get pregnant soon after childbirth, expecially if you are not fully breast feeding, but you are not more fertile after childbirth than at any other time in your life.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• No truth to it at all, in fact I've never heard of anyone in the medical field saying that! Only places like CM! And you also aren't "more" fertile after have a miscarriage. All that matters is when you first ovulate again after giving birth or having a miscarriage. Some women will ovulate right on schedule as if they were never pregnant and others will take longer.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• What would make you super fertile? I never understood this. After having a baby you still ovulate just once a month unless you are breastfeeding perhaps. I think maybe they mean you don't know exactly when you are going to ovulate so it may be easier to become pregnant if you are not using protection. You can ovulate before you first period shows up but who knows when it will happen.
    Anonymous

• if you are not fully breast feeding

bf is not a form of birthcontrol even if you EBF.moms do get preggo while bf.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I always assumed it was because your cervix was more open, making it easier for the sprem to get where they were going, of course that's just me making things up... and I am no medical professional.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 4:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• " if you are not fully breast feeding"

The funny part about that statement is my friend Audrey just had a baby 2 months ago, strictly breastfeeds, and is pregnant again. Breast feeding is not a contraceptive.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• OMG, breastfeeding IS contraceptive! You have to follow certain rules, but as long as baby is under 6 months, mom hasn't gotten her period back, she doesn't use a pacifier, or suppliments (even expressed breast milk), and doesn't go longer than 1 6 hour stretch a day without nursing it is 98% effective.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2009